Oil leak help

5 replies to this topic
  • Brown713

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hey everyone........new to the site......I have an oil leak from behind the front sprocket....On my 06 YZ 450......I have replaced the 2 seals 3 times & it just keeps on leaking a slow but consistant leak......Can anyone tell me what to do to stop this leak??? Thanks!!!!

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:37 AM

The steel collar the seal runs on may have a groove worn in it. If this is the case, the collar needs to be replaced. There is also an O-ring that seals between the collar and the shaft. It's not usually at fault, but it's also really cheap.

• matt4x4

Posted March 18, 2009 - 03:42 AM

replace all 3 parts as Grey said also check for play (side to side/up/down) on the output shaft - if you have play it's a worn bearing which can be culprit too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brown713

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:13 AM

Thanks guy!! I will check into it...

• madtaff

Posted March 06, 2010 - 12:39 PM

maybe a silly question the shaft seal can it be replaced as easy as it looks also does the steel collar come out without a fight ? cant seem to find part numbers mine is also on an 06 450f

• grayracer513

Posted March 07, 2010 - 01:26 PM

The seal is easy, but the collar can be a little stubborn. It tends to stick to the O-ring that seals it to the shaft. Once the sprocket is removed, a tap or two on the end of the shaft with a mallet or wood block will bump the shaft inward enough to snap it free of the O-ring, then you can grab it with a pair of "channel locks" and twist it out. Fish the O-ring out with a pick.

The seal, collar and O-ring are items 28, 29, and 30 on the transmission page of the fiche.

http://shop.thumpert...2006&model=7090

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.