Fork Stiction

5 replies to this topic
  • Jekel

Posted August 11, 2002 - 04:14 AM

My forks seem to have stiction in them somewhere? When compressed they don't want to return to where they should. I know about the preload which should be there. Also they have been redone, new seals and the works(revalve, springs, fluids). Also have checked the alignment. Seals not leaking. I have serviced the forks many times and other forks and these have me ??????? Any ideas?

• Cabo-Cowboy

Posted August 11, 2002 - 10:56 AM

A common mistake made is by overtightening the triple clamps.Im not saying that you,made it however.Im not sure if permanent damage occurs but certainly a malfunction can.The book says to torque the uppers to 17 and the lowers to 14.Which aint much.Thats my 2 cents.
TC

• Jekel

Posted August 11, 2002 - 02:13 PM

Used the torque wrench. forks seem fine off the bike, but not when installed. I'm wondering if I may have twisted the clamps at some time and damage is not visible. Has anyone had trouble like this??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted August 12, 2002 - 02:21 AM

Mine have done it since the Gold Valve install. I always use a torque wrench on "everything" and I have a brand new tripple clamp...Still has a hard spot about 3 inches down from fully extended, but travels free off the bike. It rides fine so I just said the hell with it. I've also tried clicker adjustments across the range from fully closed to fully opened with no results.

Bonzai :)

• Jekel

Posted August 12, 2002 - 04:55 PM

At least it isn't just me. Thanks for letting me know. Mabey someone will figure it out?

• John_Curea

Posted August 13, 2002 - 05:18 PM

Jekel

Sounds like a classic example of fork bind. It is very easy to install the front forks that will cause binding. I cannot stress the importance of needing the forks to be absolutely paralell.

Here is a quick method to ensure properly fork installation:

web page

Good luck, let us know how you make out.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.