Rear Wheel Removal-Quick Rundown Please

4 replies to this topic
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted March 16, 2009 - 05:55 PM

Hey everyone. I want to take my rear wheel off in the next hour or so. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what is needed to be done step by step. I'm sure its easy, I just haven't done it yet.

Thanks,
mike

• odlaw19

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:20 PM

1. Make sure you have quick access to thumpertalk.com :)
2. Put bike up on stand/box so that rear wheel is off the ground.
3. Loosen axle nut out to the end of the thread.
4. Hit the end of the axle/nut lightly to move axle through about 1/2 inch.
5. Remove axle nut, washer and tensioner block.
6. Move tension block on opposite side out past the tension bolt. This will allow you to move the wheel forward to remove chain.
7. Ensure bike is in neutral, start removing the chain form the bottom of the back sprocket while turning the wheel forwards.
8. Take the weight of the wheel and remove the axle.
9. Remove wheel from swing arm being careful of rear brake.

Installation is the reverse. Ensure the wheel is pulled forward before tightening the axle nut. This can be done by putting a spanner in one of the teeth of the rear sprocket at the top and rotate the wheel backwards until the chain tensions.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:28 PM

Thanks man, this helps a ton. Couple questions. You say at the end "make sure the wheel is pulled forward" What do you mean exactly? Do you mean pull the wheel backwards toward the rear or do you really mean forward? Also, do you know the size of the axle nut, I need to buy a damn socket as I see I don't have one big enough. Thanks again, nice write up.

• odlaw19

Posted March 16, 2009 - 11:28 PM

The wheel needs to be pulled forward so that the tension blocks are hard up against the adjustment bolts. It might pay to check your chain is correctly adjusted too.

Not sure on the nut size. I just use a big shifter (shifting spanner.... not sure what you guys in the US call them :))

• n19dg2

Posted March 17, 2009 - 04:24 AM

The rear axle nut is 27mm.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.