Where to get shim adjusting pads?

7 replies to this topic
  • pablo83

Posted March 16, 2009 - 02:56 PM

I have a 99 YZ400F, I'm installing an auto-decomp cam in it so I will need to re-shim the valves. The TT store has individual shims for about $5 ea. I don't know what size I will need yet and I'd rather not have to wait for parts to show up after I've disassembled the engine. Is there a kit available that has a bunch of different size shims?

• ozonefirefighter

Posted March 16, 2009 - 03:22 PM

i just did mine and went to my local shop and got my shims there. they let me buy the ones i thought i needed and return the ones that didnt work out. saved me money. also you may be already doing this but i would suggest going ahead and installing a new timing chain while you are in there. i did my shims then found out i needed a new timing chain after and had to go back in. hope this helps

• Birdy426

Posted March 16, 2009 - 04:26 PM

You can buy a hot cams shim kit on e-bay for about 80 bucks...but I would just buy the induhvidual shims from the dealer. If you are a good customer, many service guys will just swap what you took out for what you need...

• Strattos

Posted March 16, 2009 - 05:48 PM

Second that. You'll never need all the shims you'd get in a shim kit (I'm guessing) through the life of your bike. And as Birdy says, a lot of dealers either do a clean swap, or in my case, they charged me half price with an exchange. Most dealers would have every size you'd ever need as well, so there's no waiting around for stuff to arrive.

Shouldn't have to change them that often anyway - bulletproof motors.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pablo83

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:01 PM

thanks for the info guys, I'll stick with the local shop.

• bg10459

Posted March 17, 2009 - 10:17 PM

Buy Honda shims. All the big bikes use the same shims and the Hondas come in .0025mm increments rather than Yamahas .005 increment. They might be cheaper, too.

• pablo83

Posted March 18, 2009 - 06:55 AM

Honda does list a lot more shims, but they have different intake and exhaust shims. I'm not sure what the difference is. Do you know shich one match the WR?

• CORider63

Posted March 18, 2009 - 07:56 AM

They should be 9.48mm diameter shims. Here's a source for the full Hot Cams kits and for the individual refill packs:

http://www.procycle-...valve_shims.htm

Here's a valve shim/maintenance log program I put together that will calculate the required shims and provide part numbers for the shims from Honda, Yamaha and Hot Cams.

Attached Files

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.