08 YZ450 Factory Connection

27 replies to this topic
  • MikeyT750

Posted March 16, 2009 - 02:22 PM

Well I did it. I went all out and got my suspension done by Factory Connection. I didn't know how much I would improve the suspension because ts had the best suspension I have ever rode on in my life to begin with. I weigh 220 with gear so its a much needed mod. (Well at least Springs). I got them to re valve as well. .48KG's up Front with 360CC of oil. In the Rear they put a 5.8KG on and recommended 108 Rider Sag. I got the sag set and got a chance to take it out Sunday for 2 hours. The weather was not cooperating at all so I really didn't get a chance to dial it in. The biggest improvements that I saw were it tracked extremely well in the corners, I hardly bottomed it even on a big flat landin, The rear shock used to kick so bad and was now nice and subtle and I was much less fatigued! Still a little arm pump but that's from a previous injury with a tendon in my hand. I can't wait for this weekend. The weather supposed to be MONEY!!! :)
Billy was they guy I talked to at the place in NH. I mentioned that I was Active Duty Marine Corps and he told me about the Military Discount!!! Extremely nice guy as well.

Here She Is

http://viewmorepics....mageID=46988817

• Justin89

Posted March 16, 2009 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the write up! That bike looks killer:thumbsup: I cant imagine how that suspension must feel:worthy:

• Kawirider37

Posted May 11, 2009 - 09:08 PM

so now that you have had your bike back for awhile, what's your opinion of the suspension. How much adjusting did you have to do to get it how you wanted it? How does it feel in whoops, oon flat lands, and in the turns?

I only ask becasue I should be getting mine back on wednesday and hope that the money was well spent. I know I won't be a better rider but I was hoping the suspension would make riding much more enjoyable.

• MikeyT750

Posted May 12, 2009 - 08:19 AM

To be honest, I haven't adjusted anything but the spring preload to get my sag right again after a few rides. It i absolutly awesome. I am about a slow to middle C rider so I can't tell you from a high experience level. The Flat landings are without a doubt soaked up almost entirely. Corners have a better feel throughout the whole apex of the turn. I can get on the gas sooner without worry that it is going to spin out unpredictably. Whoops, well they are whoops and I SUCK at them so really no help there. IMO it has been the best money spent on a D-Bike in my life. Hope you have the same experience. :excuseme:

• nemx24

Posted May 12, 2009 - 02:11 PM

had mine done by factory deflection at the end of last year. was way to soft when i got it back has .47 in the front and stock rear spring. they've redone it twice and it as better but still not as good as o would expect for the money. they said to run 108mm of rear sag and i kept telling them it handled bad they said i just needed to get used to it. i put it at 100mm one day just to try it and holy crap what a difference actually turns now instead riding like a chopper. now the bike is awesome

• Justin89

Posted May 12, 2009 - 02:55 PM

Hey, where did u get the 09 style shrouds?

• Justin89

Posted May 13, 2009 - 10:32 AM

Dude I'm waiting here lol jk :doh:

• Wiz636

Posted May 13, 2009 - 11:28 AM

360cc of oil in the outer fork chambers? That seems like way too much, but I guess if it works it works.

I believe the factory specs call for a maximum of 350cc

• grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2009 - 11:52 AM

360cc of oil in the outer fork chambers? That seems like way too much, but I guess if it works it works.

I believe the factory specs call for a maximum of 350cc

It's a lot more than I use (325cc), but I'm running the "Del Taco" fork from Smart Performance.

• Wiz636

Posted May 13, 2009 - 12:34 PM

It's a lot more than I use (325cc), but I'm running the "Del Taco" fork from Smart Performance.

Ditto. Tried 330cc but went back to 325.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMCoastie

Posted May 13, 2009 - 01:06 PM

Did they send the "suspension box?" And if they did how long did it take to recieve it. Im going to go through them to get my suspension re-sprung and re-valved.

• MikeyT750

Posted May 13, 2009 - 01:48 PM

If I remember correctly the box took about 3-4 days to get here. It will get to you quicker being in VA. In it it has the packing instructions and a catalog for you to look and dream about all of the accessories you can or can't afford.

The 09 Shrouds were on the bike when I got it. See the guy that I got it from gets 2 bikes a year and when got his 09's he pulled the plastics off and swapped them for these. Guess he liked his graphics or something. I looked at the price for replacement OEM graphics for the SE as mine are starting to wear. Yeah-Sure, I don't like the OEM's that much....

I forgot to mention, they said to run the 108mm of sag. I tried it and went back to 100mm. handels much betta IMHO.

• Justin89

Posted May 13, 2009 - 02:20 PM

If I remember correctly the box took about 3-4 days to get here. It will get to you quicker being in VA. In it it has the packing instructions and a catalog for you to look and dream about all of the accessories you can or can't afford.

The 09 Shrouds were on the bike when I got it. See the guy that I got it from gets 2 bikes a year and when got his 09's he pulled the plastics off and swapped them for these. Guess he liked his graphics or something. I looked at the price for replacement OEM graphics for the SE as mine are starting to wear. Yeah-Sure, I don't like the OEM's that much....

I forgot to mention, they said to run the 108mm of sag. I tried it and went back to 100mm. handels much betta IMHO.

Haha yea I looked them up to and they were pricey! :doh:

• RMCoastie

Posted May 13, 2009 - 04:19 PM

Haha yea I looked them up to and they were pricey! :doh:

Not has bad as RG3 and very similar to Enzo. The others like MX-Tech and Pro Action are a little cheaper. I feel getting my suspension done for my weight and ability is worth the cost of an exhaust system or some engine mod...

• Justin89

Posted May 13, 2009 - 04:29 PM

Not has bad as RG3 and very similar to Enzo. The others like MX-Tech and Pro Action are a little cheaper. I feel getting my suspension done for my weight and ability is worth the cost of an exhaust system or some engine mod...

Haha oh no, I was talking about the OEM stock shrouds :snore: I'm willing to pay a lot for suspension. I had ENZO on my 06 and am debating on Pro Circuit for my stock 08 :doh:

• matthew trachsler

Posted May 13, 2009 - 04:32 PM

thats a great looking bike!

• RMCoastie

Posted May 13, 2009 - 05:12 PM

Haha oh no, I was talking about the OEM stock shrouds :snore: I'm willing to pay a lot for suspension. I had ENZO on my 06 and am debating on Pro Circuit for my stock 08 :doh:

Gotcha. I do like the stock OEM graphics for the SE's, but not so much the price.

• MikeyT750

Posted May 14, 2009 - 01:19 PM

Thanks Mathew

• Kawirider37

Posted May 19, 2009 - 11:00 PM

how long did you run their suggested sag before you went back to 100. I'm almost fedup with trying to dial the bike in. They had me set the sag at 110. I've bottomed out on every large jump I've hit so far. Don't take this the wrong way. They did a good job, but I've yet to find my prefered settings. I think I need to set the sag stiffer.

• grayracer513

Posted May 20, 2009 - 06:14 AM

10mm sag one way or other should not make the difference between bottoming/not bottoming anywhere. If it does, it's simple coincidence. Once it's in a realistic range to allow the suspension to work correctly, sag is more properly used to dial in the steering, along with the fork tube height.

In modern MX, with its excessive emphasis on artificially large jumps, it is common for the suspension to be set up so that it does bottom out on the biggest jumps encountered. If it doesn't, you aren't getting full use of the suspension travel. If it bottoms excessively, than adjustments to damping and spring rate should be made to deal with it.

Then again, if 10mm less sag takes care of it, then that works, and the bike will turn better for it anyway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.