08 Used team bike picked up - thanks for swaying me to a YZ

9 replies to this topic
  • LAndrew

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for the comments on the Yamaha bikes reliability, it helped out with my decision.

So I went ahead and picked up the bike. Too bad we have so much snow I cant ride it. Well I did go across my yard (30ft and 7km/hr) once.

I cant wait to feel how the suspension is going to work with the KYB forks and re-valved F/R.

Just sitting there both ends feel like they have no stiction at all, but really that is not a judge of its overall performance.

Sounds and feels tight and new.

I cant wait to ride it!!

On a side not if you have a CRF450 and just bought a YZ450 you can swap the front brake clamp and save a few grams it looks much more streamlined. Or buy it for under $10 new form the Honda dealer.

I have a heavier flywheel and top mount Scotts damper full kit on the way (found them from same seller in Craigslist down in MN) like new -$400US for both (even threw in an oil filter and the puller)! Dirt bike riders are great people.

Brake line clamp from a 05 CRF450:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Frank_z28

Posted March 16, 2009 - 07:45 AM

Nice bike. I was thinking buying one of those too. Is the engine stock?

• LAndrew

Posted March 16, 2009 - 01:38 PM

It is a stock engine, just jetted and piped.

They do offer the rare bike that needs race gas but usually not as the average buyer does not want to be forced to source and pay for the needed fuel. Plus they usually open them up and go back to stock internals and adjust valves etc.

They still have some full race 03 and 04 CR250 2-strokes at Blackfoot. I probably couldn't ride one at a track, not with a digital powerband. Off Full to On Full = crash. Would be fun in the sand though.

• Justin89

Posted March 16, 2009 - 02:40 PM

Looks killer!:banghead: :)

• DND

Posted March 16, 2009 - 05:31 PM

Congrats! Looks nice and clean as to be expected from Blackfoot. Now the fun of waiting for the snow to melt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:31 PM

look amazing just like new eh.
i couldnt even ride my bike in my back yard, to much ice and lots of snow.

• Fabulous

Posted March 17, 2009 - 06:24 AM

You got that from Blackfoot Direct, correct? Nice guys down there. What you pay...$6K ish?

• LAndrew

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Yes, Blackfoot and 6 on the button, whereas in the classifieds I see 08's for 6500 or more stock used and needing tires and drive parts. Great guys to deal with too.

You get a brand new: full exhaust, new tires, chain, sprockets, plastic, graphics, seat cover, Twinwalls, grips, completely lubed all bearings. skidplate, radiator guards, colored engine plugs and of course Joe Skidd suspension. Must be over $2000 CDN in aftermarket.

I have taken it apart to do the crankcase and carb breather mod and almost every bolt I remove has a touch of grease on the threads. The breather tube and fuel lines are brand new. Looking under the tank everything the eye can see looks to be new or showroom condition. Hard to believe. It sounds quite tight and yet I still plan to do the top and bottom this winter-2009/10 (for less than $500CDN)

• Fabulous

Posted March 17, 2009 - 08:08 AM

Yeah, I was down there buying gear not too long ago, and was at that exact bike. Owner was telling me that since switching to the Yamaha bikes, they have less problems, and last longer. He also told me that those bike have like 10 hours on them as practice bikes, then are completly taken down and rebuilt...amazing deal. Congrats! I want one, but am on the fence as many have said it would make for a sucky trail bike...what are you going to use it for?

• LAndrew

Posted March 17, 2009 - 08:15 AM

Mx and trail probably 40/60 this year. Going to use the first couple of AOTMX and CMRC races to motivate me to get in shape then head to the mountains once the snow melts away at end of June (7000ft up at Cadomin.)

I used my 05 crf450R for mostly trail last year and it was great. A little stiff but power was great. I put on a 12/52 and I could crawl around.

I have a 51 rear tooth, scotts damper and middle weight GYTR flywheel for it on the way. That will help with track and trail.

I cant wait to get it to Cadomin, Brule, and Coleman AB this year. I'm thinking the suspension is going to be worlds better than my 05CRF.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.