2001 WR426 rear bearing replacement???

4 replies to this topic
  • fourstroker

Posted August 10, 2002 - 11:59 AM

Greetings Thumps!!

How hard is it going to be for me to replace my rear bearings, they are making a grinding noise periodically. How much time do I need to set aside for this repair? Any tricks or suggestions will be most appreciated!

Have a great weekend and ride safe!

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 10, 2002 - 01:07 PM

Bearings are easy to do. You need a a long drift punch and the bearings are tapped (hammered?) from INSIDE the hub out where the axle pops through.

You should measure how far your bearings set inside the lip of your hub. You can (as I have :) ) push your bearings in too far >> hence measuring BEFORE starting the removal process.

The most difficult thing is getting the bearing initially pushed far out enough where you can get a better bite on it w/ your punch. I have used a screwdriver in the past to get started, although last time the drift punch worked fine.

Take your time and work your way around the bearing. You may have to go in a 4 bolt per-se pattern when tapping it out ( 0 degrees, 180 degrees, 90 degrees, then 270 degrees ).

For installation, I have put my bearings into the freezer. I myself have never heated the hub for expansion, although I have heard of others doing it. I use a large socket to tap my new bearings into the hub. You must work slowly and keep that bearing going in straight.
Keep those measurement numbers handy when tapping in your new bearing.

I WOULD NOT recommend Yamaha bearings >> too expensive and quality can be improved w/ aftermarket. Go to a bearing supply store w/ your old bearings. They will measure it or cross reference it w/ their bearing book. There are reference #'s on your old bearing.

Good luck but you WILL be fine!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted August 10, 2002 - 02:04 PM

I just replaced my front bearings and seals with a Pivot Works $29 package. Took less than 45 minutes, no heating, no cooling. A screwdriver to pry out the seals and use as a drift to get the bearings out and a very large socket to get them all back in. Large enough that it pushes on the outside instead of the inside of the new bearing.

• MN_Kevin

Posted August 11, 2002 - 03:14 AM

As a heads up >> I believe their is a retaining c-clip that holds your seals in >> this MUST be removed before you start the job!!

• blue_beast_wins

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:20 PM

Only one circlip that holds one bearing in, beheind seal, cant remember whitch side, refit this one fist and they cant go in too far.

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: blue beast wins ]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.