rear wheel 18 vs 19

3 replies to this topic
  • pbviking

Posted March 15, 2009 - 05:20 PM

I hear lots of people changing rim size from 19 to 18. Just curios why???

what is the advantage and disadvantage of each...

• areax

Posted March 15, 2009 - 06:45 PM

I hear lots of people changing rim size from 19 to 18. Just curios why???

what is the advantage and disadvantage of each...

For an 18"--
From my experience and research of the subject.. more tire sidewall.. which equals you can run a little less air which means more tire contact to the ground.. less pinch flats too.. from my experience

For a 19"--
I assume the larger rim is favorable for the MX track for a few reasons but I really can't think of them at the moment.. other than lower profile tire which is better for MX.. but that is all that I can come up with at the moment.

I am also looking into swapping to an 18 with my 08 yz 450f but my main reason is that I am having quite a hard time finding a 120/80-19 that I like. Of course.. there are about 6 different tires in that size.. but they don't really fit the bill for me. It seems that they're is a much greater selection of tires in the 18" range..I've been really wanting to run the Pirelli MT-16 but of course.. I cant find it in a 19 inch.

I'm sure somone else will chime in with some more info. Hope this helped.

Donnie

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2009 - 07:22 PM

For a 19"--
I assume the larger rim is favorable for the MX track for a few reasons but I really can't think of them at the moment.. other than lower profile tire which is better for MX.. but that is all that I can come up with at the moment.

The larger rim allows a lower aspect tire to be used while maintaining a similar rolling diameter. The advantage is in reduced unsprung weight, and you can definitely feel it when you're going fast. And as to a larger rolling diameter, it provides more traction by lengthening the contact patch.

• Wiz636

Posted March 16, 2009 - 08:19 AM

I am strictly an offroader and use an 18" rear. The taller sidewall provides for more flex for better traction on roots, rocks, etc, and it allows me to run lower tire pressures while still protecting from pinch flats and rim damage. There is a much wider selection of tires for the 18" rim also, including trials tires.

If I was MX only I would run the 19" for the lighter weight and the stiffer sidewall that would not roll over as much in hard cornering.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.