some basic questions on yz450f

10 replies to this topic
  • 720raptor

Posted March 15, 2009 - 04:31 PM

ok i am on here to get some info for modding my little brothers bike so he can keep up with me. he has a bone stock 2005 yz450f with a barkers slip on. (tim barker makes the best performing four stroke exhaust for yamaha quads and he is my friend so i had him build this exhaust for my brother.)

anyways here is my questions.

should we go with a quickshot 1 or 2

is the power now valve worth the money?

is there a good full intake made for this bike?

and i have heard that the stock valves are not very good, should i replace them with titanium or stainless or just leave em if they are within specs?

if you guys have any other comment on what to do let me know. also is there an easy way to put a fifth gear into this bike without going to a wr trans? his top speed is maybe 60 and that is in high rpms, we sometimes go on cruises down dirt roads where he would like a fifth gear so he is not revving the engine so high to keep up but he wants his gearing to stay good for when he is on the track. thanks for all the help guys. oh ps, you dont have to treat me like a noob, im just not into bikes so i dont know about the mods for this, yes i am a quad guy but i like my training wheels lol plus im to lazy to find a tree or a quad to park next to while trail riding lol

• TIG88

Posted March 15, 2009 - 04:37 PM

ok i am on here to get some info for modding my little brothers bike so he can keep up with me.

If he cant keep up with you, money would be better spent in riding lessons. :)

His top speed should also be around 85ish MPH with stock gearing

• jjj109

Posted March 15, 2009 - 04:43 PM

ok i am on here to get some info for modding my little brothers bike so he can keep up with me. he has a bone stock 2005 yz450f with a barkers slip on. (tim barker makes the best performing four stroke exhaust for yamaha quads and he is my friend so i had him build this exhaust for my brother.)

should we go with a quickshot 1 or 2

is the power now valve worth the money?

is there a good full intake made for this bike?

and i have heard that the stock valves are not very good, should i replace them with titanium or stainless or just leave em if they are within specs?

if you guys have any other comment on what to do let me know. also is there an easy way to put a fifth gear into this bike without going to a wr trans? his top speed is maybe 60 and that is in high rpms, we sometimes go on cruises down dirt roads where he would like a fifth gear so he is not revving the engine so high to keep up but he wants his gearing to stay good for when he is on the track. thanks for all the help guys. oh ps, you dont have to treat me like a noob, im just not into bikes so i dont know about the mods for this, yes i am a quad guy but i like my training wheels lol plus im to lazy to find a tree or a quad to park next to while trail riding lol

stock yz450f valves are the best in the biz. top end on that bike is good for atleast 100hrs or more if taken care of like he should. also the stock valve are titanium from yamaha. dont touch the valves till they need to be replace just check them like your manual says. just regear the bike if he wants more top end. that motor has more then enough to pull a smaller rear sprocket

• 720raptor

Posted March 15, 2009 - 04:58 PM

If he cant keep up with you, money would be better spent in riding lessons. :)

His top speed should also be around 85ish MPH with stock gearing

ok well first off if the bikes top speed is 85 then that means i routinely do about 110 on my raptor. that isnt happening. also i was talking about cruising speed not holding it pinned. also my quad isnt nearly stock.

guys i am asking for answers to my questions not smart ass replies. please just post up useful info or i will go elsewhere to get it.

• 720raptor

Posted March 15, 2009 - 04:59 PM

stock yz450f valves are the best in the biz. top end on that bike is good for atleast 100hrs or more if taken care of like he should. also the stock valve are titanium from yamaha. dont touch the valves till they need to be replace just check them like your manual says. just regear the bike if he wants more top end. that motor has more then enough to pull a smaller rear sprocket

thank you this is the kind of info i am looking for

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jjj109

Posted March 15, 2009 - 05:05 PM

no problem 720raptor. that bike is pretty fast up top

• mitchicle

Posted March 15, 2009 - 06:12 PM

The powernow valve is junk don't waste your money on it.
As far as the quickshot i would recommend sending your carb to Zip Ty racing, it costs about 140 shipped and it is IMO the best mod you can do to your intake. There are alot of people on here who feel the same.

You're not going to change your top speed unless you change gearing or get the RPM's higher. And i'm pretty sure the only way to get a 5th gear is to do the complete swap to a WR tranny. Hope this helps.
Mitch

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2009 - 07:16 PM

• should we go with a quickshot 1 or 2
  • is the power now valve worth the money?
  • is there a good full intake made for this bike?
  • and i have heard that the stock valves are not very good, should i replace them with titanium or stainless or just leave em if they are within specs?

• Neither, they are a waste of money
  • No, it's not
  • The one that's on it now is the best you can run
  • You heard wrong. The original valves in my '03 had over 350 hours on them when I sold it, and had never required an adjustment.
With the stock 14/51, an '05 will rev pretty high while cruising at speed. Go to a 14/49 or 14/48 and you'll be happier with it. If he wants a wide ratio trans like quads typically have, he'll need to install a WR 5 speed. MX bikes have close ratio transmissions, and the 5 speeds aren't much higher geared than the 4 speeds are, just closer spaced.

If he can't keep up with you, it's mostly his fault.

• 720raptor

Posted March 16, 2009 - 09:59 AM

If he can't keep up with you, it's mostly his fault.

or it could be my fault as i have a mid 70s hp quad.

anyways thanks for the help guys, oh and what exactly is it that zip ty racing does to the carb?

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2009 - 10:16 AM

... what exactly is it that zip ty racing does to the carb?

It's a modification of the main fuel circuit and a new emulsion tube. Improves throttle responsiveness across the board.

• 720raptor

Posted March 16, 2009 - 05:29 PM

ok very cool thanks a lot

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.