Building a tailgate ramp

16 replies to this topic
  • keithh2oskier

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

Has anyone done it out of simple wood & metal? I cant weld so building a sweet one is out of the question. What did you guys do? I was thinking of just getting a 2x6 and finding some metal and bending it in a vice, drilling three holes and taping them into the 2x6? what gauge metal would you recommend?

• tnash

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

You can buy end pieces that bolt on to a 2x6 just like you are saying, they arent expensive they just have a slight bend on them to sits flush on the tailgate when the ramp is on the ground.

• skisnh

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

use 2 2 x 10's with the ramp ends. them put some tek screws in the ramps......walk up one and slip the clutch and walk the bike up the other.....the tek screws are for traction

• 68b_body

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

here is what i made with some scrap metal and a sheet metal brake at work metal is 3/16" thick and 8" long
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
im gonna get some shingles and nail em to the board to have some grip so my bike and feet dont slide on the boards

• Chickenhauler

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

As for the 2x6 idea, the wider the better-much more room for error when loading.

About the metal lip portion, at one time, I had taken a piece of angle iron and hammered it so that the angle wasn't quite so great....similar to these: http://www2.northern...s/ramp-kits.htm

• usmcpaul

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:15 AM

I've used a 2x12 with a homemade 'lip' like the ones posted above for years. It works great, its cheap and no one wants to steal it.

I like the width of the 2x12, and I had one lying around after I built my house so the price was right.

My truck is pretty tall so I cut it to 10 ft. long in order to make the loading angle, less vertical. It sticks out quite a ways, so I clamp a red flag/rag to it. The extra length has the unintended benefit of warding off tailgaters:smirk: .

• keithh2oskier

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the input. I will stop by home depot in the next few days and get some wood and metal and build me a little ramp!:)

• dopeyferree

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

Harbor Freight has a nice bi fold aluminum ramp on sale this weekend. I picked one up for $59. Its the ladder style perfect for the price.

• kxracer987

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Harbor Freight has a nice bi fold aluminum ramp on sale this weekend. I picked one up for $59. Its the ladder style perfect for the price.

They had some good deals. I picked up one of there Aluminum Dirt Bike center stands for $29. The Dirt Bike shop wanted $69 for a similiar one with a fancy name on it.:)

• Premium Malt

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

I use a 2x4. Thats a real mans ramp :)

• nap__kxf

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:17 AM

I use a 2x4. Thats a real mans ramp :)

especially when you stand it on it's side, right? :banghead:

• rezrider

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

2x4 without a sissy bracket on the end!!!

Just got to be careful when unloading it that the ramp doesn't come off the gate when the rear tire hits it. It's always better to have 2 people doing it! One to stand below to catch it and stand there with their foot on the end of the ramp to keep it in place!

• DMC707

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

I use a 2x4. Thats a real mans ramp :banghead:

only if you can wheelie the bike into the bed on said 2x4 :) :banghead:

• keithh2oskier

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

only if you can wheelie the bike into the bed on said 2x4 :) :banghead:

I dont think I will be able to do that.... Ill stick with my wood and sissy metal bracket!

• rezrider

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:12 PM

I dont think I will be able to do that.... Ill stick with my wood and sissy metal bracket!

:) Actually I could have used one of those one time when I was unloading by myself...the rear tire hit the board and knocked it off the tail gate. I wasn't able to catch it in time so the rear end dropped onto the gate putting a dent in the expansion chamber...yeah that was back when the pipes were down under! :banghead:

• 68b_body

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

:) Actually I could have used one of those one time when I was unloading by myself...the rear tire hit the board and knocked it off the tail gate. I wasn't able to catch it in time so the rear end dropped onto the gate putting a dent in the expansion chamber...yeah that was back when the pipes were down under! :banghead:

i've had that happen alot thats why i made those brackets. ill dig the end in the ground so it dont slide back when unloading.

• MX813

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

I have one of these....
http://images.lowes....54102008022.jpg

Nice heavy duty and when done riding, just ride right up the sucker

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.