All Japan Nationals Spy Pic - 2010 YZ450F NEWS

95 replies to this topic
  • nickeenoo

Posted March 17, 2009 - 02:17 PM

KTM's aren't all that great for dead engine starts.

Have you ever raced a dead start race against a KTM? If you had you wouldn't make such foolish statements. It has nothing to do with KTM and everything to do with the rider and how the bike is jetted.

• ProMed

Posted March 17, 2009 - 02:34 PM

Have you ever raced a dead start race against a KTM? If you had you wouldn't make such foolish statements. It has nothing to do with KTM and everything to do with the rider and how the bike is jetted.

So... KTM's aren't all that great for dead engine starts, you just need proper jetting? Maybe that is what he was saying? Or..

Every hare scramble I race is against e-start KTMs along with other makes with a button. If everything goes perfect for both bikes, I give the nod to the guy doing the kicking. It turns the engine over more quickly.

So.. in my measly opinion at least, KTM's aren't all that great for dead engine starts.

Neverless, I would still love to have the button!

• nickeenoo

Posted March 17, 2009 - 03:00 PM

So... KTM's aren't all that great for dead engine starts, you just need proper jetting? Maybe that is what he was saying? Or..

Every hare scramble I race is against e-start KTMs along with other makes with a button. If everything goes perfect for both bikes, I give the nod to the guy doing the kicking. It turns the engine over more quickly.

So.. in my measly opinion at least, KTM's aren't all that great for dead engine starts.

Neverless, I would still love to have the button!

Maybe with the button maybe not? Who's to say how many orange bikes have e-start at the races. Maybe I just see a lot of orange at the starting line at our races and therefore a lot of orange in the front of the pack?

Anyway, I agree with giving the nod to the guy doing the kicking. I just don't think there is any legitimacy to saying KTM's don't start as well as other bikes at least not the races i've raced or watched.

• NorCal

Posted March 17, 2009 - 03:03 PM

YEAH BUT HAVE YOU EVER RACED A DEAD ENGINE START AGAINST A KTM? WHY WOULD YOU MAKE FOOLISH STATEMENTS LIKE THAT?

Just kidding ProMed. :)

Check out Justin Williamson's videos. He has a section on starting. He is
simultaneously kickstarting and hitting the button to get his KTM off
the line faster. I guess kickstarting isn't an option anymore for some of the
KTM models.

• NorCal

Posted March 17, 2009 - 03:24 PM

No...that's not what I originally intended to say.

This is what I said if you can't remember.

KTM's aren't all that great for dead engine starts.

You can crank the motor over faster with your foot than an electric starter.

So don't try to call me out and tell me I'm making foolish statements.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2009 - 03:33 PM

IF mine starts first kick, it's as quick off the line as an e-start bike, and yes, you can turn the engine faster with the crank than the button.

What you cannot do is kick it the second, third and/or fourth time anywhere near as soon as an e-starter does. And inasmuch as mine is much more likely to start in neutral than in gear, the e-starter makes it far faster to get into gear and gone. Whether you boost the effect with your foot or not, there is no denying that over the course of a season, the button will consistently get you out sooner.

Even so, the button won't cure a systemic starting problem, like jetting or incorrect throttle technique.

• hillclimbguy

Posted March 17, 2009 - 05:08 PM

I doubt it. Mine works very well and is running great. If the '10 has something that really suits my needs in particular, or is another quantum leap like the '06 was, I'll be more interested, but not at this point.

I second that! Nothing wrong with our 06 450s. Always dependable and paid for.

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 17, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Ah, back when men were men and motocross bikes sucked.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2009 - 06:15 PM

Ah, back when men were men and motocross bikes sucked.

Damn right. I wish i still had a couple of these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• rich27

Posted March 19, 2009 - 01:10 PM

I hear ya. back in 2003 or so the magazines were always saying that yamaha needed to mellow out the 450s engine and refine the handling so slowly they have done that now all they talk about is its lack of power. It ticks me off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2009 - 01:28 PM

The funniest part about that is that, just as you said, the '03-'04 models were roundly criticized as "unrideable by mortal man". Then, along came the '06 with a torque curve that resembles a table top, and all the mags said it was too mellow and lacked low amid mid range.

Now, that same '06 is held up by many as being a low end powerhouse. People have no memory.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 19, 2009 - 02:11 PM

I know my 04 is a monster if you are not smooth with the throttle!

• Blaster21996

Posted April 17, 2009 - 09:05 PM

I can't remember the last time that I saw a Supercross on TV where someone did not lose 10 spots trying to re-start their 4 stroke after a stall or crash.

If it will not start by a kick, it will not start by a button any faster! I think the answer to your scenario is a Rekluse.

• Blaster21996

Posted April 17, 2009 - 09:08 PM

The funniest part about that is that, just as you said, the '03-'04 models were roundly criticized as "unrideable by mortal man". Then, along came the '06 with a torque curve that resembles a table top, and all the mags said it was too mellow and lacked low amid mid range.

Now, that same '06 is held up by many as being a low end powerhouse. People have no memory.

I have never rode an 03-04 YZ450. Like you, I do have an 06 YZ450, and I think it's very strong compared to a friends 07.

• rich27

Posted April 18, 2009 - 07:24 AM

They are delaying the release because they didnt sell very many 09's. They need to get rid of those first. Decals!!!!!!lmao.

• finthat

Posted April 18, 2009 - 07:52 AM

Would not another thing to take from the orange guys along with the button be a hydraulic clutch? Easy pull no adjusting ect. ect. Should E-start be an option for a year or two then they would have an idea how the public likes or dislikes the thing??

I wouldn't get one until 2011. Alot of the time with a "new" bike there are alot of updates made. But mabe Yammi is better than that.

For us less competetive types sounds like a good time to go shopping for 09's and any left over 08's.

• joethunder

Posted April 18, 2009 - 08:23 PM

Yep, I am on it. Sold the 04 in one day, and picking up a left over 08 yz450 on tuesday! Great deal.

• ck240

Posted July 10, 2009 - 08:11 AM

I have never rode an 03-04 YZ450. Like you, I do have an 06 YZ450, and I think it's very strong compared to a friends 07.

i have a 03 yam, and man that thing pulls your arms off. (especially for me weighing in at 130)

and i agree with the hydrulic clutch statement those things feel so smooth.
and in this months dirt rider it says the 2010 yz450f will have the engine tilted backwards, efi, really weird exhaust, air box where gas tank normally is, and gas tank under the seat. they apparentley tilted the engine back to get the light front end feeling of a two stroke. i think they compromised that light feeling with an estart though.

• grayracer513

Posted July 10, 2009 - 10:57 AM

i have a 03 yam, and man that thing pulls your arms off. (especially for me weighing in at 130)

and i agree with the hydrulic clutch statement those things feel so smooth.
and in this months dirt rider it says the 2010 yz450f will have the engine tilted backwards, efi, really weird exhaust, air box where gas tank normally is, and gas tank under the seat. they apparentley tilted the engine back to get the light front end feeling of a two stroke. i think they compromised that light feeling with an estart though.

The pictures are not of the '10 model.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=767517

• Ga426owner

Posted July 10, 2009 - 10:59 AM

the anticipation must be killing 'em..............:worthy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.