All Japan Nationals Spy Pic - 2010 YZ450F NEWS

95 replies to this topic
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted March 16, 2009 - 10:46 AM

hell i wouldent mind having electric start on my 450 or my 250 2stroke . all you motocross guys dont no what its like to be on a hill and stall the bike. then let alone try to kick start the thing..

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2009 - 10:57 AM

I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy, useful, or nice but YZ's are motocross bikes. Not desert bikes, enduro bikes, or hare scramble bikes.

If Yamaha built a better WR, we might not be having this conversation

The 450 SX-F is a motocross bike, too. Close ratio box, 19" rear, the whole deal. And, it's in a product line that has not just an MX'er and a multi-purpose model, but four different, somewhat purpose built off-road models just in the 450cc displacement size, so there's no contention being made by anyone that it's built for any other purpose.

Furthermore, the weight of the SX-F is 230 pounds, wet, no fuel, so the weight argument is weakening rapidly, too.

But I would like Yamaha to offer at least one model in between the WR and the YZ. The point where I personally would like to see another model is so near the middle of the gap between these two bikes that is difficult to decide which one to start modifying to get to the desired result.

• wFo

Posted March 16, 2009 - 11:00 AM

I can't remember the last time that I saw a Supercross on TV where someone did not lose 10 spots trying to re-start their 4 stroke after a stall or crash.

• Frank_z28

Posted March 16, 2009 - 11:58 AM

If they are having a hard time selling their '09 bikes I can see why they don't want to unveil a bike with a new chassis, bodywork and EFI. Nobody would buy up the remaining '09's, instead they would wait for the new bike.

Who care if they dont unveil it now, some of us already know something new is coming and are going to wait

• DMC707

Posted March 16, 2009 - 12:00 PM

I'm a short chubby guy. Springs are so stiff (due to the chubby part) the bike has no static sag either. Darn right i want electric start !! I will be the first in line i it happens.

I can't start my bike cold without a milk crate (I'm not a midget either, 5'8" -- the long lanky leverage ratio of the big 4's kicker just works against me) -- hoti s actually easier for me, but if i stall on the track, i better be on the right side of a berm or on top of a whoop or something. If i get caught in a trough between 2 jumps -- i am in trouble. LOL

• Justin89

Posted March 16, 2009 - 01:05 PM

Until Yamaha can shave so much weight that it can add electric starters just to make the bike meet FIM standards, it needs to focus on building a race worthy WR450F.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy, useful, or nice but YZ's are motocross bikes. Not desert bikes, enduro bikes, or hare scramble bikes.

You are probably right, motocross bikes will most likely have e-starters within the next 5 years...but until the added weight is justified, they take a step towards being play bikes rather than purpose engineered race bikes.

If Yamaha built a better WR, we might not be having this conversation

IMO Yamahas are already way lite for a 450. When I ride my yz450f and my kx450f back to back, the Yamaha feels like a 250f compared to the green machine. Same with KTM, real heavy bikes. Honda and Yamaha definately "feel" and are the lightest out of the bunch.

• KAS

Posted March 16, 2009 - 01:10 PM

I'm secure enough in my manhood to admit that e-start would rock on my YZ.

Actually my "perfect" Yamaha would be a YZ450F with an e-start, lighting coil & 18" rear wheel.

• USED YZ426F

Posted March 16, 2009 - 01:14 PM

I'm going to take the starter off my Z71 and turn it over with a crank.

You're my hero, Gray.......:)

• clutchless

Posted March 16, 2009 - 01:30 PM

But I would like Yamaha to offer at least one model in between the WR and the YZ. The point where I personally would like to see another model is so near the middle of the gap between these two bikes that is difficult to decide which one to start modifying to get to the desired result.

agreed 100%.

• RCannon

Posted March 17, 2009 - 04:53 AM

I bet they are delaying the release of the bike just so the designer can find a new way to arrange the strobe graphics. Do you suppose we'll get strobe graphics for 2010?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 17, 2009 - 05:35 AM

I bet they are delaying the release of the bike just so the designer can find a new way to arrange the strobe graphics. Do you suppose we'll get strobe graphics for 2010?

:) :banghead: :banghead:
yea this is why a 2009 showed up at the Jap Nationals........decal design is not final.....

• SUnruh

Posted March 17, 2009 - 06:35 AM

i'm still wondering why they raced a bike with the '08 swing arm and linkage?

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2009 - 06:53 AM

i'm still wondering why they raced a bike with the '08 swing arm and linkage?

Probably because it's an '08, and it still works.

Doug Dubach ran a YZ250F from late 1999 through 2000 and told everybody it was a 400. Nobody knew the difference then, either.

• ace402

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:24 AM

Doug Dubach ran a YZ250F from late 1999 through 2000 and told everybody it was a 400. Nobody knew the difference then, either.

Really...? Interesting...:)

• rickallen124

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:50 AM

It's going to be all new and Yamaha is going to keep it under wraps for as long as possible in order to sell as many of the '08/'09 models as they can. I wouldn't be suprised if Yamaha didn't release the bike untill fall like honda did last year. If the consumer knows what the new bike is going to be and it is radically different, which it sounds like it is, then who is going to buy a bike now instead of waiting for the '10. From what little I've heard all the reports say there is no downside to the '10 model.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2009 - 07:53 AM

Well, there will be a downside for owners of the '08-'09's interested in selling theirs, won't there?

Then again, there'll be some killer deals available on the '06 - '09 models.

• rickallen124

Posted March 17, 2009 - 08:29 AM

Yamaha already has some big rebates on the '08/'09 models. Yeah, the downside is trying to sell a bike that has quickly become outdated. I'm sure the price of the '10 will also be a downside compared to what we are used to paying.

• 33 BLUE

Posted March 17, 2009 - 09:18 AM

I almost sounds like I will have to just keep my 06 and buy a '10. For what used bikes are going for, they are almost not worth selling. Especially for how much we all have into our bikes. What a bummer... What are you going to do Gray? I noticed you still have your 06. Will you get the '10 ?

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2009 - 09:32 AM

Will you get the '10 ?

I doubt it. Mine works very well and is running great. If the '10 has something that really suits my needs in particular, or is another quantum leap like the '06 was, I'll be more interested, but not at this point.

• NorCal

Posted March 17, 2009 - 10:38 AM

KTM's aren't all that great for dead engine starts.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.