All Japan Nationals Spy Pic - 2010 YZ450F NEWS

95 replies to this topic
  • rickallen124

Posted March 15, 2009 - 02:14 PM

If Yamaha Motor USA will not allow the '10 model to make its debut untill september than you can expect that it won't be available untill late october. I guess I won't be holding my breath for any pics/info around the normal june release, more like september.

• XRYoda

Posted March 15, 2009 - 02:56 PM

The forward tilted engine is huge. The new Husaberg made a big improvement because of their forward style motor. Hope it is true. Also hope that the legendary Yamaha reliability remains. Sign me up.

Yoda'

• jjj109

Posted March 15, 2009 - 04:37 PM

yea electric start would be nice but till they can figure out how to make really light weight its not needed. besides the bikes as they are today start really easy and i dont plan on stalling or falling that much to need it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2009 - 06:36 PM

What if you're a desert racer?

• FinchFan194

Posted March 15, 2009 - 07:47 PM

Then buy a WR or Katoom!

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2009 - 09:20 PM

Then buy a WR or Katoom!

Not an option.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 15, 2009 - 09:24 PM

learn to kick faster!.. lol.. just messin with ya man..

the magic button imo dosnt belong on a mx bike.. i rather not rely on having that thing.. people already call us lasy for riding a 4stroke.. now do we have to eliminate kick starting to?

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2009 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, you're right. Let's not let progress get in the way of being manly. In fact, let's go back to 4" of front suspension travel, ditch the CDI ignitions and go back to points with fixed timing, go back to air cooling, and drum brakes on 320 pound bikes with 35 hp, and dump rear suspension altogether. Then we'd really be real men.

I'm going to take the starter off my Z71 and turn it over with a crank.

• Se77vN

Posted March 15, 2009 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, you're right. Let's not let progress get in the way of being manly. In fact, let's go back to 4" of front suspension travel, ditch the CDI ignitions and go back to points with fixed timing, go back to air cooling, and drum brakes on 320 pound bikes with 35 hp, and dump rear suspension altogether. Then we'd really be real men.

:banghead: :banghead: :)

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 15, 2009 - 10:18 PM

lol.. i never said lets go back.. i just said i dont think it belongs on the yzf..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ace402

Posted March 16, 2009 - 07:10 AM

Well, I guess we had better tell the Moto GP guys to drop their ego and put electric start on their bikes in the name of progress.

YZ's are purpose built, closed course competition race bikes. Anything that would inhibit the bike from performing well on a motocross track should not be on the bike.

CDI's, disc brakes, liquid cooling, and the like all have performance advantages.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice at times to have electric start, but it is definitely scope creep on a motocross bike.

• MaddogYZ

Posted March 16, 2009 - 07:22 AM

Why did it take so long for them to figure out the whole tilt engine thing? They've been rolling engines back and forth in sportbikes for years. Considering Yamaha has spent an extra year of development on efi I'd be suprised if there are any significant issues, this bike is going to be awesome!

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2009 - 08:00 AM

YZ's are purpose built, closed course competition race bikes. Anything that would inhibit the bike from performing well on a motocross track should not be on the bike.

Which explains why the KTM 450 SX-F has one, I suppose.

• ace402

Posted March 16, 2009 - 09:23 AM

Just because KTM is doing it, doesn't mean their right. But then again, KTM knows that not everyone who buys their bike will race it. They are adding weight and lowering the power to weight ratio with the hopes of picking up market share. As they say, "cash is king" and with all of the current production motocross bikes being close in performance, a manufacturer has to do something to set themselves apart from the rest. Thus...electric start. If it helps them sell a few more bikes, they will use electric start. Not because it makes the bike a better race machine. It's all about the benjamins $$$$

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2009 - 09:54 AM

... KTM knows that not everyone who buys their bike will race it.

Are you suggesting that this is not the case with a YZ?

Besides, I'll remind you again that "racing" is not so narrowly restricted as you seem to assume, and includes forms of the sport such as desert and enduro that would benefit tremendously from having an e-start, and for which the YZ is commonly selected in spite of its obvious disadvantage in this regard. If it's about the Benjamin's, then certainly very few people would reject the bike for having an e-start as opposed to those would be drawn to it because of it.

E-starters are a technological advance on the cusp of becoming truly practical for this market segment. They will be included on YZ's eventually, whether you care for the idea or not.

• KJ790

Posted March 16, 2009 - 09:57 AM

Which explains why the KTM 450 SX-F has one, I suppose.

Yeah, but they also have a linkless suspension...:)

Just messing

• Ga426owner

Posted March 16, 2009 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, but they also have a linkless suspension...:)

Just messing

I hear that is changing for 2010......if you can't beat them ...join 'em

• Ga426owner

Posted March 16, 2009 - 10:20 AM

It is curious to me that the Japs did not release the pre production 2010 bike for this race......afraid it would negatively affect 2009 sales? hmm....granted the economy is dictating that every company do more with less that never stopped them before. Something sounds fishy to me......
either:
the 2010 is not up to par yet
or there is no earth shattering completely new Blu 2010

• ace402

Posted March 16, 2009 - 10:21 AM

Until Yamaha can shave so much weight that it can add electric starters just to make the bike meet FIM standards, it needs to focus on building a race worthy WR450F.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy, useful, or nice but YZ's are motocross bikes. Not desert bikes, enduro bikes, or hare scramble bikes.

You are probably right, motocross bikes will most likely have e-starters within the next 5 years...but until the added weight is justified, they take a step towards being play bikes rather than purpose engineered race bikes.

If Yamaha built a better WR, we might not be having this conversation

• Wiz636

Posted March 16, 2009 - 10:32 AM

It is curious to me that the Japs did not release the pre production 2010 bike for this race......afraid it would negatively affect 2009 sales? hmm....granted the economy is dictating that every company do more with less that never stopped them before. Something sounds fishy to me......
either:
the 2010 is not up to par yet
or there is no earth shattering completely new Blu 2010

If they are having a hard time selling their '09 bikes I can see why they don't want to unveil a bike with a new chassis, bodywork and EFI. Nobody would buy up the remaining '09's, instead they would wait for the new bike.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be handy, useful, or nice but YZ's are motocross bikes. Not desert bikes, enduro bikes, or hare scramble bikes.

If Yamaha built a better WR, we might not be having this conversation

True, the WR's are just too trail-oriented, but YZ's are great HS and dez bikes...not so much enduro though. I don't really care either way about electric start but they really do need to make the YZ's capable of being lit up!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.