HELP...my mom won't let me get my motorcycle endorsement

39 replies to this topic
  • hondarider298

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:36 PM

I'm 18 and I want to get my motorcycle license. My dad says go for it...but my mom says it's too dangerous. She always brings up the 'there are lots of people that die from riding' and how 'other vehicles don't see you'. She says when I'm on my own I can get one. Should I try to change her mind to try to persuade her to let me get my license?

• Powers351

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:52 PM

have you tried persuading her with the fact they dont eat gas up

• VTNewb

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:11 PM

It's 18 and it's your life, but if you're still getting money, insurance, healthcare, whatever through your parents, it's worth keeping them happy.

• bcfarm

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:15 PM

good things happen to those who wait.

don't rush it, you will make your own way soon and then can do what you like. I had some desire young but never got my first bike until i was 33. I don't feel like i missed a thing.

If that strategy doesn't work for you then bail on the parental financial support go get a job and a bike to boot.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:19 PM

I can't help you. You're Mother is probably right.

http://www.insidebay...maps/ci_6415320

• hondarider298

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:23 PM

have you tried persuading her with the fact they dont eat gas up

Yes I have...I've even tried saying it's safer than racing dirtbikes...it must be a mom thing

• Eric908

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:26 PM

One thing you could do is tell your mother that you've decided to join the military instead. They need volunteers in Iraq and Afghanistan! A brand new motorcycle might then be found in your driveway.

• 04YZ450RACER

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:30 PM

^^^haha thats mean. as long as it wont affect you in any negative ways...go for it!

• DEMI

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:45 PM

if you are under Mom and Dad's roof....listen to your Mom....

• hondarider298

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:12 PM

One thing you could do is tell your mother that you've decided to join the military instead. They need volunteers in Iraq and Afghanistan! A brand new motorcycle might then be found in your driveway.

Haha....im already accepted into a tech college for next year, and they wouldnt believe me...I am too much of an anti-war type to enlist in the military...hopefully Obama doesn't bring back the draft.

• Maddog10

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:12 PM

I say try to persuade her. I got my motorcycle license and a CBR600F4i when i was 17 and never looked back. I love the gas mileage :)... You do have to watch out for other driver's though. they are your biggest enemy along with animals and gravel lol. I've been fortunate enough to avoid all these so far but i try to be very aware when i ride on the street.

• tekknikkx

Posted March 14, 2009 - 02:32 AM

You Ever Hear That Tubs Are Dangerous Andu Can Slip And Die In Them?!?!!?! I Can't Believe Ur Mom Is Allowing You To Bathe Or Shower?!?! The Insanity?!?!?!?!?

• roxynoodle

Posted March 14, 2009 - 02:38 AM

Many moms hate motorcycles. I had to wait until I was an adult and on my own. I'm 40 now and to this day, she still doesn't know I have one. While you live in her house, you will probably have to abide by her wishes. I know it's hard, but you have a long life ahead of you and can get one later. Ask if you can at least take the MSF course and get the endorsement even if you can't get a bike yet. Maybe if she sees you getting the safety training, that will help. Everyone should take MSF anyway before riding street.

• weebs74

Posted March 14, 2009 - 02:54 AM

You definitely need to respect your mother's wishes. If your parents disagree on getting you your permit, it could be a very ugly should you ever get injured while riding...could end a marriage.

I got my permit when I was 16 and bought a street bike soon after...dumped it in the rain about 1 year later and came home all bloody. No broken bones and no head injury...I was lucky...my mother almost skinned my father alive. Had I been hospitalized, he would have been hanging by his neck from a tree in the yard.

I love to ride....love it! But I'm also an orthopaedic surgeon who spends a lot of time putting broken and busted kids back together. It's never pretty and the old lady that T-bones you will never pay anyways. Many of these guys sell their bike after the accident. Always a day too late.

I stick to riding off-road at this point. So much safer without the rest of the world trying to run u over.

Always keep your parents happy...especially if you're planning on having them help you pay for college. I joined the Army at 18 so it didn't matter as much. Keep ridin' in the dirt.

• mandark

Posted March 14, 2009 - 03:01 AM

I'm 18 and I want to get my motorcycle license. My dad says go for it...but my mom says it's too dangerous. She always brings up the 'there are lots of people that die from riding' and how 'other vehicles don't see you'. She says when I'm on my own I can get one. Should I try to change her mind to try to persuade her to let me get my license?

You're 18. The state considers you an adult. Start taking responsibility for your own life and go get it.

• wolfwolf

Posted March 14, 2009 - 05:15 AM

Are you anti war or anti military? for that statement i hope you never get a bike. do you realize without both, you would be speaking german! then you would have to join the military! Luckly, we have very brave people in this country that fight for your and my freedom every day, so you can cry to your mom about letting you ride a street bike. booo F I N hooooooooo!!!!!

i apoligize to all the germans on this site!

• NuckinFutz

Posted March 14, 2009 - 05:32 AM

my folks were dead set against motorcycles growing up, my dad was an ER doc and saw many casualities. my first bike was a 1980 Kawasaki 750 Ltd, got it from my step brother who had been T-boned by an old lady several years prior. Insurance paid to have the bike rebuilt, but he was too scared after that, so he had boxed up a lot of the bike and stored it in his basement. He gave it to me and i fixed it up and got it running, and got to teach myself to ride around the neighborhood, then sold it for a good profit. After that, it seemed easier to get the next the next good deal and keep it going from there. I had the motorcycle endorsement by the time i was 17, she still hated it, but i was showing signs of growing up i guess by paying for it and working on a project showed some dedication...or i finally wore her down! i know she is much happier now, 17 years later that i mostly ride dirt!

• Trailryder42

Posted March 14, 2009 - 06:05 AM

I agree with going ahead and signing up for the MSF class, you need it anyway. It can be tough sometimes to get in as they may not be offered very often and the classes fill up fast, so start looking into it soon.

Taking the class and getting your endorsement doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a motorcycle against your Mothers wishes and you need to make her understand that. It's just that you want one eventually and you're preparing yourself ahead of time. Taking the class will also give your Mother time to warm up to the idea. It's a sign to her of taking responsibility on your part. If you have to pay for the class yourself, so much the better, you should anyway.

And look into what insurance will cost for you. You're going to need a job to at least help pay for insurance. Until a guy turns 25 in most states, insurance is outrageous if you had to buy it on your own, that is, not being able to get on your parents policy, but even then it's high.

• DGXR

Posted March 14, 2009 - 08:22 AM

Definitely obey your Mom's wishes. It will pay off in the long run, for sure. Just wait until you have your own roof over your head and then do what you want.

Yes I have...I've even tried saying it's safer than racing dirtbikes...it must be a mom thing

I stick to riding off-road at this point. So much safer without the rest of the world trying to run u over. Keep ridin' in the dirt.

Not quite hondarider298. Spot-on weebs72. No way, no how is street riding safer than dirt or MX riding. Just forget it. I could go into a long list of obvious and legitimate reasons why, but I will refrain from jacking the thread.
BRAAAP :) :banghead:

• jeepspd1234

Posted March 14, 2009 - 08:57 AM

get a 50cc supermoto and put a big bore kit on it. you don't need a m1 for 50cc bike. You are only 18, I am in my 30's and still do stupid things but not nearly as often as when I was 18. You have plenty of time to get your motorcycle license, and as a new parent I have a new appreciation for the worry parents go through. At the end of the day you are an adult, but weigh the whole situation before you act against your moms wishes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 First impressions by Scott_72

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 12 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ125 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ125 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Folding shifter levers by BermRider18

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • Hot  69 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF450R 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF450R 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Yz426 with 03 yz450 sleeve and head. Possible? by MattyDubz426f

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.