08 YZ450F Backfiring when kicked

6 replies to this topic
  • Gmen08-450

Posted March 13, 2009 - 04:08 PM

I just got done doing some work to my bike (non engine related). It hasnt be startd in about 2 weeks and was running with no sign of any mechnical problems the last time i rode. Well I went to kick it over today to run down and get my mail and all I got was a loud pop when I kicked it(after three pops i gave up). I'm guessing that every time it pops is when it should be starting because I can feel the compression loading up to where it should be firing. I dont know if im just paranoid about the bike jumping time since i've read that it is somewhat common of the 08s or I'm hoping that its due to the cold weather we have had here for the last few days. Has this happened to anyone before? I guess i'm just looking for some peace of mind and hoping that my bike didnt do what I have read has happened to so many others. Can anyone shed some light on this?

• TIG88

Posted March 13, 2009 - 04:16 PM

Blip the throttle once and kick it again, when mine does that it means shes about to fire up!

• odlaw19

Posted March 13, 2009 - 04:30 PM

Kick it harder!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:26 PM

Blip the throttle once and kick it again, when mine does that it means shes about to fire up!

That's right. The cold does have something to do with it. Prime it 1-2 times and try it.

• wellsy1

Posted March 14, 2009 - 10:34 AM

I'm with tig88. I think that she about to start. I find that I have to Prime 4 or 5 times before she starts. but its really cold where I live, during the winter.

• rufusz

Posted March 17, 2009 - 02:31 AM

You gave up pretty fast on kick-starting a bike :)

• BlackT5

Posted March 17, 2009 - 04:35 AM

When mine does the funny back fire it seems like its loaded up on gas. I usually shut the choke and pull the hot start and it fires up.

Just an idea.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.