your opinions please

4 replies to this topic
  • desert-rat660

Posted March 13, 2009 - 03:37 PM

i have an 06 yz450f but im wanting to get a wr450f, i would like to have electric start and lighting. i do only trail riding.
i found someone who would trade me an 06 wr. do u think id be down grading going to an 06 or should i try and find an 07 with an alunimun frame. any input would be helpful

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2009 - 03:56 PM

On a conceptual level, if it's more like what you want in an off-road bike, it's a step up, regardless. Only you can decide that.

The steel frame's a step back, not because it is really much heavier, but because it feels a lot heavier that the aluminum models do.

The suspension is a step down on any WR, but it can be fixed very nicely.

The power is a step down, but the smoothness of the engine at low speeds may be a plus. Either way, power is correctable.

The electrical system, e-start, wide-ratio trans are probably all a plus for you.

I'd consider a WR myself, but probably not a steel one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desert-rat660

Posted March 13, 2009 - 04:03 PM

thats what i was kinda thinking. the steel frame is what mostly makes me not want it. did those have the oil tank in the frame?

• grayracer513

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:21 PM

Yes, they did.

• kamaral26

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:19 PM

I have a friend with the steel frame WR and it does "feel" a lot heavier than mine but it is definitely a more trail friendly bike the gearing seems to suit it very well, makes it a lot more forgiving creeping around trees going up a hill...IMO try to get an aluminum frame and you'll have yourself a winner

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.