yz400f questions

5 replies to this topic
  • Cavi

Posted March 13, 2009 - 01:02 PM

okay, I am looking at buying a 98 yz400f, the main reason is it has a CA plate and the price is decent. The story of the bike is that it is owned by a man who has a shop, however my best friend who is the head mechanic of the local KTM dealer is not a big fan of their work.
Anyway, the owner states that he just redid the top end including adjusting the valves. The bike starts easy, however the jetting is off as the first 1/4 of the throttle just dies, you need more than 1/4 throttle to go, this does not bother me as I would get a JD jetting kit. The problem is that there is a major ticking sound as if the valvetrain is off, had he not stated that he had just done the valves I would gues they were out of spec. At this point I am leaning twords worn cam chain? Ideas please?

• husqy360

Posted March 13, 2009 - 02:22 PM

shop owner with a carb that need work sound stupid to me. any work that this bike actully need is probebly not cheap, beacuse he would have done it before he sale his bike.
yz engine is very noisy. listen to another 1

• pablo83

Posted March 14, 2009 - 11:54 AM

I agree with husqy. Anyone with a bike shop knows they can get a lot more money for a bike in good condition. If he's selling it for cheap and it ticks and the carb's not adjusted right then he's trying to get rid of it because the needed repairs are not worth the cost of the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cavi

Posted March 16, 2009 - 10:28 AM

Ì am figureing on the posibility of needing major engine work, but to me it would still be worth t if I had to put 1000 into it, I like the bike and the engine characteristics, plus the plate is a major thing for me, and to top it off, the bike is lower than my current 250f which I really like. does the 426 head fit on the 400 engine?

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2009 - 11:00 AM

...does the 426 head fit on the 400 engine?

Yes, with very minor mods.

• Cavi

Posted March 16, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Well I pulled the trigger and bought the bike, I will pick it up on Fri and check it out

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.