I think I'm finally getting a 450(04'yzf)

24 replies to this topic
  • dirthogg

Posted March 13, 2009 - 10:22 AM

I've had a 98' cr250 for about 5 years now and I've been getting a real bad itch for a 450. Just so happens my buddy decides to get married and needs some cash, lucky me.

Even though times are tough, I don't think I can turn this deal down. Over the last couple months I've talked him down to $1,800 and a case of BUD.

After doing some searching on this forum it doesn't seem like people have many complaints about this bike.

My question is. I just purchased Ohlins for the CR and if it's possible I'd like to put them on the YZF. I just don't know the specs of the YZF. Does anyone have some information that can help me out?

Thanks

• Kasjok

Posted March 13, 2009 - 11:52 AM

04 is a good bike, but if you can stretch your budget a bit, then I would recommend you getting an 06 model. :)

• dirthogg

Posted March 13, 2009 - 05:36 PM

I'm not really willing to spend more. I know he needs to get rid of it and I would like to have a 450, figured 1,800 wasn't a bad price.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 13, 2009 - 05:51 PM

1800 is a good price if the bike isn't clapped out.

• TIG88

Posted March 14, 2009 - 07:08 AM

You'll like it alot. I picked up an 03 in November.

I could have afforded a new 08 at the time, but I wasnt ready or willing to spend the money.

I dont do any MX stuff, mainly just woods and trails. If I wrapped my 6k bike around a tree, I believe I would cry like a baby!

Also, the 03-04s are supposed to have the hardest "hit" of all the years. It almost feels like a 2 stroke coming up on the pipe at mid-rpms.

People say the weight and handling are pretty bad on the steel frame yz's, but coming up from a ttr225, this thing is amazing!

BTW, mine had a decent amount of upgrades when I bought it last fall, and I paid 2250 for it, though these things generally hold their value well around here.

• kain522

Posted March 14, 2009 - 06:56 PM

I would argue with the bad handling statement. The 04's don't handle as good as the new ones to be sure, but they are far from bad. I do agree on the weight issue though, they feel kind of heavy.

• NortonMoto

Posted March 15, 2009 - 09:53 AM

I bought a used 06 and love it! Will never buy a steel frame dirt bike again!

• eddie06450

Posted March 15, 2009 - 10:45 AM

I had a 06 and got a new 08 and i think it turns better than the 06 and i love it more power too with the same stuff on it may just be me but it feels like it.

• OldSkool

Posted March 15, 2009 - 04:38 PM

The steel to aluminum frame comments are pretty damn funny. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the riders here can't ride to the full potential of a steel frame bike let alone an aluminum.

I'd say the only people who may benifit from an aluminum frame would be a Class A MX racer and above. Guys going out to MX practices and to local riding spots gain nothing from aluminum. Proper suspension setup and rider skill is the key to any type of off-road riding.

• jjj109

Posted March 15, 2009 - 04:51 PM

The steel to aluminum frame comments are pretty damn funny. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the riders here can't ride to the full potential of a steel frame bike let alone an aluminum.

I'd say the only people who may benifit from an aluminum frame would be a Class A MX racer and above. Guys going out to MX practices and to local riding spots gain nothing from aluminum. Proper suspension setup and rider skill is the key to any type of off-road riding.

def soo true oldskool. the suspension and bike setup are key. I raced both the 2003 & 2004 yz450f's. they are both good bikes but not good for woods riding cause of the 4sp gear box. I personally like the 4sp gear box thats cause i mainly ride mx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2009 - 06:54 PM

Spoken like one who has never ridden the aluminum YZF to compare it to the steel ones. There is a difference beyond night and day between the two; more like 6 years of chassis evolution overnight. Since you apparently are not aware of this, I can only conclude you have not ridden one or the other. I've never known someone who has experience with both chassis who did not say the aluminum frame was not a remarkable, significant improvement, noticeable immediately by anyone.

It goes far beyond weight (the weight delta is only one pound). The aluminum models were completely rebalanced, the CG lowered, and as much mass moved to the center as possible. The newer bikes are one pound lighter, but it feels like 30. If you can't feel it, you're numb.

• dirthogg

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for posting guys but the replies haven't really helped. Yes, I understand that an 06' or aluminum frame is Superior to the 04'. I also know that the yzf is Superior to my cr250.

The 450 is in great shape and he had the valves replaced and work done on the head last spring. He only rode it about 10 time last year so I'm not worried about the motor. The rest of the bike is clean and I thought it was coming with a full White Brothers exhaust new plastic and 5 tires. Now he's saying it will be an extra $300 for exhaust, plastic and tires. I'm stopping by his house tonight to figure this all out.

Right now I'm thinking if he doesn't included everything for $1,800 I won't be purchasing a 450. With the hard times and my 250 being in great shape I don't think I can justify spending more.

I still have the question to be answered. Will the Ohlins off the 98' CR250 fit on the 04' yzf 450? I don't need someone to do the research for me because I can figure it out tonight, but if someone has a good idea I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks,

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:46 AM

Will the Ohlins off the 98' CR250 fit on the 04' yzf 450? I don't need someone to do the research for me because I can figure it out tonight, but if someone has a good idea I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks,

It's not going to bolt up, no. With enough access to machine tools, you can probably make it work, but the spring and damping rates will be wrong, and remember that the YZ front wheel won't fit either.

The rear shock on the YZ is excellent with just a little work, and the Phase 4 Fork Kit from Smart Performance will make the YZ fork astonishingly good.

• OldSkool

Posted March 18, 2009 - 01:15 PM

Spoken like one who has never ridden the aluminum YZF to compare it to the steel ones. There is a difference beyond night and day between the two; more like 6 years of chassis evolution overnight. Since you apparently are not aware of this, I can only conclude you have not ridden one or the other. I've never known someone who has experience with both chassis who did not say the aluminum frame was not a remarkable, significant improvement, noticeable immediately by anyone.

It goes far beyond weight (the weight delta is only one pound). The aluminum models were completely rebalanced, the CG lowered, and as much mass moved to the center as possible. The newer bikes are one pound lighter, but it feels like 30. If you can't feel it, you're numb.

Actually, I've ridden many aluminum frame bikes going way back. Honda has had them for years. :banghead: I have ridden a 08 YZ450F.... What does that have to do with my statement? Nothing. :banghead:

As I said "I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the riders here can't ride to the full potential of a steel frame bike let alone an aluminum." and "I'd say the only people who may benifit from an aluminum frame would be a Class A MX racer and above." :) You want to argue these points more?

Let me know when you get your next podium thanks to the aluminum frame.

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2009 - 01:52 PM

As I said "I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the riders here can't ride to the full potential of a steel frame bike let alone an aluminum." and "I'd say the only people who may benifit from an aluminum frame would be a Class A MX racer and above."

While I agree with the first statement, what I said was that in the case of the YZF, the difference in the way the aluminum models handle when directly compared to the earlier steel YZF's is improved far beyond the choice in materials (which it has relatively little to do with in any direct way), and is immediately noticeable by anyone. The benefits of the newer bikes are only too obvious to most riders, and I think that your insistence otherwise will place you in a minority, regardless how you word it.

The question is not whether aluminum frames are better in general, only whether the aluminum YZF's are better than the older steel framed ones, and they clearly are.

• dirthogg

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:08 AM

I did get it and rode around the house last night. While I didn't get a chance to jump, I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. I'm really excited about riding this year.

Now I just have to sell the ol 250.

Look forward to posting here more.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:31 AM

You mentioned jumping, and that this is your first big four stroke, so, a word of advice: DO NOT drop the throttle when leaving a jump crest until you are entirely used to the bike. Doing so will flip the tail up magnificently. As you adapt, you'll actually be able to utilize this, but it will be different at first. In fact letting off the gas to hit significant sharp bumps is also a mistake.

• guitarnut57

Posted March 20, 2009 - 12:46 PM

Dirthogg, you will love the '04 once you adjust to the way it corners. I have an '04 myself, and contrary to popular belief, it is still competitive outside the pro class if the suspension is setup right. The only mods I have done to mine are applied triple clamps, hydraulic clutch, fmf 4.1 slip on, rerouted front brake cable, and a suspension revalve. My bike is still competitive in the Vet Intermediate class even up against the newer Kawis and Hondas. Have fun, and don't chop the throttle as gray mentioned. :)

• dirthogg

Posted March 23, 2009 - 05:48 AM

How do you like the hydraulic clutch? One complaint I have about the clutch is it's all or nothing.

I've got a rear shock spring on it's way and I'm going to ride with the forks for awhile to see what I don't like, then I'm sending them in to get a Phase4 modification. Other than that I have the full White Brothers exhaust for mods.

Thanks for the tips guys, it will take a little while for me to get used to it but I'll do alright.

Dirthogg, you will love the '04 once you adjust to the way it corners. I have an '04 myself, and contrary to popular belief, it is still competitive outside the pro class if the suspension is setup right. The only mods I have done to mine are applied triple clamps, hydraulic clutch, fmf 4.1 slip on, rerouted front brake cable, and a suspension revalve. My bike is still competitive in the Vet Intermediate class even up against the newer Kawis and Hondas. Have fun, and don't chop the throttle as gray mentioned. :thumbsup:

• jjj109

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:53 AM

How do you like the hydraulic clutch? One complaint I have about the clutch is it's all or nothing.

I've got a rear shock spring on it's way and I'm going to ride with the forks for awhile to see what I don't like, then I'm sending them in to get a Phase4 modification. Other than that I have the full White Brothers exhaust for mods.

Thanks for the tips guys, it will take a little while for me to get used to it but I'll do alright.

dirthogg, good choice with this bike. get the boingers setup for you speed and weight. I always use the GYTR clutch kit for this bike cause they offer a special camber spring that goes on the very inside against the basket. it really helps when the clutch grabs. just my input on the clutch. flywheel weight will help a little too to control the beast. power effects handling so unless your a pro it will help

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.