Strange Starting Problem

7 replies to this topic
  • roberts189

Posted March 13, 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi guys, recently my WR426 has developed a problem where sometimes it starts frist kick hot or cold as normal but others will only fire for a split second and just will not fire up.

I have changed the valve clearences, cleaned out the jets and float bowl but am still having the same problem.

Im begining to think its possibly an electrical problem but it has the symtoms of a fuel shortage.

Has anyone had this problem or know what could be causing it?

Thanks

• William1

Posted March 13, 2009 - 10:25 AM

Try draining the tank and carb, refill with fresh fuel.

• Strattos

Posted March 13, 2009 - 11:35 PM

Check your spark plug. Firstly to see if you're getting any spark. Depending on how old your spark plug is it might pay to replace it anyway, It's a cheap way of eliminating one factor from the equation before digging the multimeter out.

• Frostbite

Posted March 14, 2009 - 01:20 AM

Check your spark plug. Firstly to see if you're getting any spark. Depending on how old your spark plug is it might pay to replace it anyway, It's a cheap way of eliminating one factor from the equation before digging the multimeter out.

X2, change the plug. I've cured a lot of odd problems that way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roberts189

Posted March 15, 2009 - 02:27 PM

I've tried a new plug and fresh fuel but it made no difference but Im starting to think its an over fueling problem so im going to have a play with the mixture and Il keep you posted, thanx guys

• Strattos

Posted March 15, 2009 - 03:55 PM

If it was running properly a while ago, your fuel mixture shouldn't have just changed, unless you'd adjusted it yourself.

Try checking your primary coil or your spark plug lead/cap to make sure you're getting the correct readings. It's pretty simple and explained well in the manual - you'll just need a multimetre.

• c9buff

Posted March 15, 2009 - 06:22 PM

I would take a multimeter to the coil. Sounds kind of like the same problem I had.

buff

• Strattos

Posted March 16, 2009 - 05:43 PM

Electrical problems are bastards of things. I went up and down the jetting scale for six months I reckon before it even dawned on me to check for electrical problem on my old 426. Turns out it was spark plug lead. Would have been a reasonably cheap and easy fix early on, but fuel problems seemed more common at the time.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.