Horn on a YZ426F?

12 replies to this topic
  • divebobber

Posted March 12, 2009 - 05:17 PM

I was going down a particularly nasty trail, more like a rocky river bed at Carnegie yesterday. It looked like a garage sale...plastic parts all over. Well, I came across a little horn. That got me to thinking about how, when I want to stop and talk to someone, like my son, who's in front of me on a single track, it's real hard to get their attention. So, the question is, is the yz426f putting out any constant voltage that would power the horn? This horn doesn't take much. My son honked it with a 9 volt battery.

• tnl

Posted March 12, 2009 - 07:57 PM

For 10 bucks at Wally world you can buy an air horn smaller than a bottle of of bug spray. Mount it to your bike with zip ties. I've seen them in 2 different sizes large and then the one above that I mentioned. Alot easier than doing what I did with a 12 V horn and there not as loud as an air horn. Here is one from cabelas: http://www.cabelas.c...equestid=128029

• divebobber

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:27 PM

Kinda nice, though, to have a horn button right there where you can push with your thumb, eh?

• KXRider212

Posted March 13, 2009 - 09:36 PM

I reakon you could get it done, got my lights running on my 150R from the power, cut a wire and hardwired it directly in.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2009 - 09:43 AM

You cannot power anything off a YZ stator without killing the ignition.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted March 14, 2009 - 03:37 PM

Imagine if you could put one of those train horns on your bike just like how guys have done that in their cars ... haha I think that would all to funny and you could mess up a lot of people on the track with that thing! haha

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KXRider212

Posted March 14, 2009 - 05:23 PM

Imagine if you could put one of those train horns on your bike just like how guys have done that in their cars ... haha I think that would all to funny and you could mess up a lot of people on the track with that thing! haha

My dad raced hare scrambles few years back, had a amulace souding horn on his bike, any time there were people up front and wouldnt move, on goes the horn, people moved over instantly

:)

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted March 15, 2009 - 08:16 AM

haha Awesome! haha

• yzhaulin

Posted March 15, 2009 - 09:46 PM

If it will work off a 9v battery, Why not just wire it up to a 9v battery and install it with a small push button? As many times as you would actually use it, the battery should last for a while. That would make for an easier install and save cutting into the bikes wiring. Just a thought.

• yama02yz250f

Posted March 15, 2009 - 10:07 PM

well i powered the trailtech computer from my yz426 when i hadnt....would a horn draw more power than that?

• grayracer513

Posted March 16, 2009 - 05:38 AM

well i powered the trailtech computer from my yz426 when i hadnt....would a horn draw more power than that?

Far more.

• divebobber

Posted March 16, 2009 - 06:27 AM

A separate battery sounds like a good idea. I may give it a try. Maybe use a couple of batteries in series to boost the voltage.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted March 16, 2009 - 08:27 PM

post pics if you do!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.