Shark Fin

13 replies to this topic
  • Jonesy920

Posted February 19, 2003 - 12:37 PM

Tommorrow I plan on dropping some more $ on skid plate bar clamps and bars. I am up in the air about the shark fins. Is the Scott's worth the $ My second choice is the BRP. PS has anyone run the Pastrana Freestyle bars instead of the Woods bend ?

• John_H

Posted February 19, 2003 - 02:13 PM

Never had a problem without a shark fin, but if I was given one I'd probably put it on. As far as the bars, I've got the Pastrana Freestyle's just because they're really tall. I like 'em. They're on the bike on the right

• utvols

Posted February 19, 2003 - 03:04 PM

My experience with shark fins has been that you never notice them until you are cleaning your bike and see all the dings and scratches that could of been your bent disc out on the trail. They are worth every penny. The Scott's is an excellent unit that I have used in the past. I do like the ones that have a removeable fin so you do not have to buy a whole new unit if you damage it.

The Pastrana bars are good for people that stand up all the time. I have used them on my KTM but went back to the woods bend. If you compare the to CR-hi or woods bend they are almost identical just taller. I like the woods bend with taller bar mounts personally.

• foursmoke

Posted February 19, 2003 - 03:59 PM

I ordered the yamaha GYT-R carbon fiber shark fin & rear caliper guard but not recieved them yet.They should be in this week. :)

03 WR450FR-picked up 2/3/03,not rode yet due to weather :D
Works connection alum.frame guards.

• Jonesy920

Posted February 20, 2003 - 09:06 AM

My dealer looked up the GYT-R carbon fiber shark fin, and it was about $96, does that include the Caliper guard ? Does GYT-R make a skid plate vs glide plate ?

• MOmilkman

Posted February 20, 2003 - 10:01 AM

I am up in the air about the shark fins. Is the Scott's worth the $

Mine sure is worth the money.

Probably depends more on where you ride on how crucial having one is. If you ride in rocks a lot then I'd say yes. If you ride out in the dez then I'd say not so much.

Mine dosent look pretty anymore but its been worth its weight.

• foursmoke

Posted February 20, 2003 - 03:43 PM

It does come as a set,at least thats what the dealer told me Jonesy920.Mine should be in tomorrow,I will let you know for sure when I get mine.

03WR450FR-picked up 2/3/03. 2.1 miles & no woodruff key problems.It runs like sh#t,but no key failure :).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jonesy920

Posted February 20, 2003 - 05:58 PM

THanks. Does gyt-r make a skid plate ?

• ddialogue

Posted February 22, 2003 - 07:19 AM

I ordered a skid plate from GYT-R and they sent me a glide plate. It had some little wings that stuck out to enhance the stock guards but was built out of very thin aluminum. I sent it back and bought a Utah Sportcycle skid plate. Excellent fit and covers EVERYTHING!

SKID PLATE

• foursmoke

Posted February 22, 2003 - 05:29 PM

Jonesy920, GYT-R does make an aluminum skid plate and a carbon fiber glide plate with seperate guards.My carbon fiber shark fin and rear caliper guard didn't come in Fri.The dealer told me to check back Mon.Can you give me tips to remove snorkle.I couldnt get it out and didn't want to break it.Also should I wait until I rejet from stock jets?

• newrider

Posted February 23, 2003 - 08:09 AM

When you really look at the options the added cost isn't that much...I went with the Scott's and it's work'in great. Looks good too!

• wrenduro450

Posted February 23, 2003 - 10:25 AM

Hey on the deal on the shark fins I had both carbon fiber and the gyt aluminum. If you will be on the motorcross track carbo is fine but if you are trailing it would be a waste.I broke mine and that was a hun that hurt. :D :)

• MOmilkman

Posted February 23, 2003 - 11:37 AM

Hey on the deal on the shark fins I had both carbon fiber and the gyt aluminum. If you will be on the motorcross track carbo is fine but if you are trailing it would be a waste

I totally agree. :)

• Tennessee_Thumper

Posted February 23, 2003 - 09:02 PM

Jonesy920,
You can save a few bucks on the Scotts by ordering it from www.rockymountainmc.com I think they still run about $110.
The Scotts is a work of art,that can take a beating.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.