munched piston, and cylinder......etc

22 replies to this topic
  • MN_Kevin

Posted February 24, 2003 - 03:51 AM

I say do it yourself, including splitting the cases...

The first (and only) time I split the cases I imagined a butt-load of transmission gears falling out on the floor. I took the bottom end (1982 YZ250 2 stroke) to a shop and had the mechanic look at it. I had tranny damage. He pointed out some gears he recommended me replacing, which I did. I WAS NOT charged for his 5 minute observation.

To split the case, I WOULD recommend a case splitter though. A homemade one would work...and is what I did use.

Doing your own work instills both pride and confidence in yourself. I have read enough horror stories here on TT about ignorant shop mechanics and outrageous service work bills.

:cool:Doing all your own work is an absolute WIN-WIN Situation!!! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted February 24, 2003 - 07:06 AM

I WOULD recommend a case splitter though.

This isn't necessary for the YZF/WR. Even on a seriously lunched motor they come right apart. I speak from experience. :)

• Fistfull

Posted February 24, 2003 - 07:45 AM

Here is a link that shows some safety wire tech Safety Wire
It takes practice to do it right ( I've got 10+ years on commercial jets ). A 1/16" cobalt drill bit (to poke the holes with) and .032" safety wire is a good combination. Anything on my bike that has a tendacy to loosen, gets drilled and safetied.
Yamakaze, if you start at the skid plate and end up at the bolt, it will be a stronger safety.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.