I Probably Can't Expaine It Well Enought....HELP!!

6 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted August 09, 2002 - 04:54 AM

....but I need to try just in case. Rode the scoot into work this morning. I'm running a 158 main which is what I usually run if I'm riding up above 8,000 feet (to lazy to change it back to the 160 before work). This doesn't usually cause any problems, maybe a miss here and there but no biggy. It was a little cooler here this morning, but bike was snappy as ever and seemingly running good. After my morning joe, I headed off to work. Got on a short peice of hwy, and opened her up, that's when it happened. This is going to be a bit tough to explain, so I hope I can do it a little justice so I can find out if I may have a problem or not. Wound the bike up high into 5th, and as soon as I hit the upper RPM's, I got this weird, loud, low pitched screetch from my motor (kind of like a chair scoot'n back on a wooden floor). It was like a resonation of the head, you know, that hollow sound your motor makes as it's running, but LOUD! I backed off right away, and it went away just as quickely, but did it one more time a few blocks away as I wound it up again. ANY ideas as to what this could be, is "something" trying to tell me something?? It runs just fine low to mid RPM's, it very well could be nothing I suppose, I'm going to rev her up again at lunch and see if I can recreate it, god I hope not.

Any suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance...

***Update, just took her for a spin to the bank, the vibrating noise is most prominent on hard decel once a certain level of RPM's is hit. Man, this is starting to scare me.........ANYONE with any ideas???***

Dodger :) :D

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Dodger ]

• Dodger

Posted August 09, 2002 - 07:08 AM

BTW, with the oil change debacle I had the other night, was just wondering. Say you left both drain plugs out, and proceeded to pour a quart back in as I did, do you think that ALL (the full quart) would run right back out one of the drain holes???? It ran out onto my rock driveway, so I have no way of visually seeing how much of the quart ran back out.

If not, and I still filled the entire 1.59US qts back into the bike, by how far would you estimate that I would be over at this point. AND, if I am over filled on oil, is there a chance that THAT would be causing this newly found "vibrating on decel" noise????

Seems to measure pretty close on the dip stick once warmed up. Man I hate this.........

• Dodger

Posted August 09, 2002 - 01:10 PM

Disregard..........Ummmmmmm problem found. Don't ask :) !

Dodger :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • evl2evil

Posted August 09, 2002 - 03:02 PM

awww ,come on dodger don't leave us in suspense,don't do us that ,come on.I promise i won't make fun of you.Seriously i'd like to know what you found,it might keep the rest of us from making the same mistake.

• Dodger

Posted August 09, 2002 - 06:00 PM

Ok, not telling you for sure, but...........

Maybe, just MAYBE when I changed my oil on Wed night, MAYBE my skid plate didn't quite bolt into the exact correct place, and MAYBE with enough vibration from the motor, it MIGHT HAVE a section that would buzz against the frame with the same resonance as the motor............MAYBE.......

• Dan_from_HB

Posted August 10, 2002 - 04:39 AM

Ha! Dodger, you're killin' me!
Mainly because the same thing happened on my son's CR250, and I forgot all about it until your last post. It had us stumped, too, until I rode it and looked down and saw the bash plate vibrating. It sounds like the crank is about to jump out of the cases.
Glad to see it wasn't a big deal.

• needsprayer

Posted August 10, 2002 - 10:18 AM

You sound like Major Payne trying to express his feelings. "Maybe, just maybe, I like ya." :)

Now give me your finger and I'll help you deal with that pain in your leg. :D

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.