bike dies when bars are turned hard right....

10 replies to this topic
  • tarlint

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:27 AM

2000 WR 400 runs great. When at idle, if you turn the bars to the right, at a given point the bike starts to die.......if you turn them all the way, it dies immediately.

I tried changing the kill switch out thinking it was shorting.......still does it. Anyone have any ideas???? I am a fairly new rider with minimal experience troubleshooting this stuff.

Thanks in advance for reading and helping.

• Charles De Mar

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:31 AM

2000 WR 400 runs great. When at idle, if you turn the bars to the right, at a given point the bike starts to die.......if you turn them all the way, it dies immediately.

I tried changing the kill switch out thinking it was shorting.......still does it. Anyone have any ideas???? I am a fairly new rider with minimal experience troubleshooting this stuff.

Thanks in advance for reading and helping.

I would look at the manual and take of the headlight off and check the wiring. Check your throttle cable too.

• flyer05

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:59 AM

I think your decompression cable is to tight. Loosen it up bit.

• GENE426

Posted March 12, 2009 - 12:00 PM

Got to be cable or wire being pinched

• tarlint

Posted March 12, 2009 - 12:26 PM

should i just move it to the right and try and loosen the cable.....or do I actually twist the cable harness to loosen that part?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mightymart

Posted March 12, 2009 - 12:55 PM

Got to be cable or wire being pinched

:)
Check that nothing is being stretched ie throttle cable. After I had a fall once on another bike the throttle cables rotated round slighly & started to cut out on full lock.

• flyer05

Posted March 12, 2009 - 01:02 PM

Yes, move it a little to the right. As you turn right it is opening the decompression release and the engine will die.
Good luck.

• bluebike1999

Posted March 12, 2009 - 01:46 PM

yep, had that one too...i thought it was the kill switch too
mine did it after i fitted new bars with raisers...decomp lever just getting tension, enough to open it a bit
good luck

• Frostbite

Posted March 12, 2009 - 03:00 PM

yep, had that one too...i thought it was the kill switch too
mine did it after i fitted new bars with raisers...decomp lever just getting tension, enough to open it a bit
good luck

Add me to the tight decomp club, an easy fix though.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 12, 2009 - 04:23 PM

I seem to recall the same problem on my 650 right after I put taller bars on. I ended up loosening everything up and moving the kill switch, clutch lever/decomp inboard just a bit and it went away. Never could determine which it was, but same deal right hand turns only going real slow where you really crank the bars over.

• creeky

Posted March 13, 2009 - 01:45 AM

Had the same problem some time back on my '01 WR400, decomp cable misrouted, turning the bars activated the decomp.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.