Who's WR426 is closest?

7 replies to this topic
  • njreimer_426

Posted August 08, 2002 - 05:02 PM

I have absolutely demolished my 2001 oil drain plug past the point of recognition somehow and need to get a bolt extractor to remove it. Fun huh? Well after the amount of time ive spent on it ive lost all realms of thinking clearly and this is what i need to do. Any one know off hand the head size and shaft size of the drain plug?

Its ok, laugh at me..

• Dodger

Posted August 09, 2002 - 05:35 AM

I can help with head size, it's 12mm. Can't help with shaft size, sorry.

Am I closest??

Dodger :) :D

• Merfman

Posted August 09, 2002 - 06:40 AM

I'm probably wrong, but if it's a stock bolt, I think it's a 12mm. 12mm head on a 12mm bolt is what makes the stock bolts so friggin expensive. You can get 8/10/12mm bolts from the hardware store, but most will have 10/12/14mm heads on 'em instead of being 8/10/12...

Merf

• YZeezee

Posted August 09, 2002 - 07:05 AM

njreimer,
I don't know if this will help or not, but when I got my bike, the drain plug was way too tight, absolutely demolished the head of it, it looked like a jagged metal stub sticking out. I tried EZ outs, snapped a couple of those, then drenched it with more liquid wrench... Finally I put a blunt chisle to the side of it, started tapping counter-clockwise and out it came. After buying a few extractors, and a couple days of being totally pissed off, I just needed a chisel and hammer-don't know if that will help in your situation, but it took care of me-easiest fix yet, hardest to figure out. Works great now-no leaks at all...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted August 09, 2002 - 10:50 PM

2002 model crankcase oil drain bolt is M12 x 1.5 - tighten to 20Nm or 1.4 FT/lbs - as long as the thread is the same, and the head will go through the bash plate, get what you can and get a washer for it and you will be fine... most important aspect of it is the overall lenght - don't let it stick into the case too far...

A lot of people are very happy with the Zip-Ty magnetic drain plug...

HTH

David

• AZWR426

Posted August 12, 2002 - 04:26 AM

Top of my head that 1.4 footpounds doesn't sound right

• yamaha.dude

Posted August 14, 2002 - 06:49 PM

The figures I posted were Copied straight from the manual... but on double checking, that is a typo by Yamaha - 14 ft/lb is the correct figure... It was late when I posted... just goes to show... always double check... although I only use Nm on my torque wrench, so I am not too quick on the instant conversions...

David

• AZWR426

Posted August 18, 2002 - 04:54 PM

Yup, I was thinking about 14 ftlb too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.