what to do..

4 replies to this topic
  • pasedogg

Posted March 10, 2009 - 09:28 PM

i bought a wr 426 today with the engine in a crate. i never really looked at it but the guy said it neds a new head cylinder and piston, he showed me thevalve, it got stuck open.i later looked at cylinder real quik never saw any damge, i am wondering if the head is good still to. did maybe this guy have a bad mechanic and tell him to sell his mint bike for dirt cheap because a valve got stuck.

what should i be looking at to fix, i cant look at engine till the weekend. but from excperience what do u guys think im gunna end up replacing and how ,uch should it all cost in the end

• Birdy426

Posted March 10, 2009 - 09:42 PM

Kinda hard to tell what you might need without seeing pics or a description of the failure. If you need a new cylinder, either because the old one is oversize or siezed/galled, it's a safe bet that you need a piston kit, too. Plan on about 500 bucks for a big bore kit from Luke's Racing. You can pick up a rebuildable head for a couple hundred bucks on e-Bay. If the head is not dorked up too badly, maybe Engine Dynamics can repair, but I have no idea on price. If you do puck up a used head, you are looking at about 60-70 bucks each for new valves, springs and keepers (depending on where you buy them...and yes, you should do all 5). Plan on 25 bucks a valve to grind the seats (and again, you should do all 5), Cams are about a buck-thirty a piece for Hot Cams and OEM are bit more if you do need camsafts. CRod kit is about a uck-fourty and another hundred to rebuild the crank if the small end bearing is toast. It can really add up quickly depending on what you need. The TT store is about the cheapest place to buy parts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pasedogg

Posted March 18, 2009 - 09:25 PM

im re installing my engine now, but one lil problem,i forget if there is an air intake tube on it or not. i have the tube going to the carberator right,its mounted on, but on the back of the hot start is another hole.what is that for

• Strattos

Posted March 18, 2009 - 11:18 PM

Judging by the fact that you're installing the motor into the frame, I'm assuming you've given the motor a good look over? Otherwise you're going to have to pull the bastard out again if it still needs major work. Not being critical, just trying to save you some work!

If one of the valves got stuck open, did the piston smack it?

Re your question about the air intake tube, by doing a search you should be able to find a manual for your bike somewhere here. The manual is very comprehensive and should cover everything you'd need to know.

I followed it to disassemble and re-assemble my old 426 motor and it was magic.

Hope the bike rebuild goes well.

• Birdy426

Posted March 19, 2009 - 01:46 AM

im re installing my engine now, but one lil problem,i forget if there is an air intake tube on it or not. i have the tube going to the carberator right,its mounted on, but on the back of the hot start is another hole.what is that for

A picture is worth a thousand words...I don't really follow what you're asking...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.