Lexx MXe Slip-On for an 08?

21 replies to this topic
  • Boise93

Posted March 10, 2009 - 06:37 PM

I just received my new Rocky Mountain ATV/MC catalog and saw that they were advertising a slip on called the Lexx MXe (page 356-357). The most interesting part was that the pipe was listed for two hundred dollars less than the closest slip-on competitor. It even comes with a spark arrestor. I assume this must be a house brand which I have had great luck with in the past when dealing with RM ATV/MC.

Has anyone had any experience with this slip-on pipe? I know that any slip-on seems to open the 08 up, but is this a "too good to be true" price for a SA slip-on?

Thanks for the feedback.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:39 PM

... is this a "too good to be true" price for a SA slip-on?

What is the country of manufacture? Any bets?

• Boise93

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:47 PM

What is the country of manufacture? Any bets?

Probably begins with a "C" and ends with an "a", and not our neighbors to the great white North. The pipe does come with a lifetime warranty. In this economy two hundred bucks saved, is still two hundred bucks.

• dcoleh

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:10 PM

I actually have one of these on my 2008 YZ450F. Just got it last week and rode with it this weekend at the track. I must say that it did exactly what I wanted and expected it to do, it gave the low and mid range a huge boost with little to no change up top.

I just came off of a 2006 YZ450F and was missing the low end hit that the 06 is famous for. I really got used to using the low end to come out of corners and accelerate up jump faces. The stock pipe is okay on the 08 but it was just a little too mellow down low for me. My new Lexx opened it up.

I would recommend this pipe to anyone, especially because it is only 200 bucks and I am sure it performs just as good as any other slip on. The fit and finish are great and it looks great on the bike. It also has a spark arrester with a quiet insert. I also noticed you can buy one of those cone spark arresters and it was pretty cheap. I live in California and can't ride anywhere without a spark arrester and a quiet bike so that was a big deal for me as well.

• yzinger6

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:54 PM

anyone got a link...? according to the web page, it is only for quads...

• Boise93

Posted March 11, 2009 - 04:59 AM

I actually have one of these on my 2008 YZ450F. Just got it last week and rode with it this weekend at the track. I must say that it did exactly what I wanted and expected it to do, it gave the low and mid range a huge boost with little to no change up top.

I just came off of a 2006 YZ450F and was missing the low end hit that the 06 is famous for. I really got used to using the low end to come out of corners and accelerate up jump faces. The stock pipe is okay on the 08 but it was just a little too mellow down low for me. My new Lexx opened it up.

I would recommend this pipe to anyone, especially because it is only 200 bucks and I am sure it performs just as good as any other slip on. The fit and finish are great and it looks great on the bike. It also has a spark arrester with a quiet insert. I also noticed you can buy one of those cone spark arresters and it was pretty cheap. I live in California and can't ride anywhere without a spark arrester and a quiet bike so that was a big deal for me as well.

Thanks for the recommendation. That's just the info I was looking for. It looks like I'll be ordering one this week as I'm looking to open the bottom and mid up and for two hundred dollars, it's a hard deal to pass up.

Thanks again.

• yzinger6

Posted March 11, 2009 - 07:55 AM

don't need the link anymore. just bought an akrapovic for 250.

• Boise93

Posted March 11, 2009 - 01:13 PM

don't need the link anymore. just bought an akrapovic for 250.

Where? Mind sharing the link?

• yzinger6

Posted March 11, 2009 - 03:09 PM

haha, why ebay of course. He said he had 1 available...seller was Ipusa. you could prob message him and ask if he has some more.

• RCannon

Posted March 11, 2009 - 05:30 PM

Probably begins with a "C" and ends with an "a", and not our neighbors to the great white North. The pipe does come with a lifetime warranty. In this economy two hundred bucks saved, is still two hundred bucks.

Cuba??? Just kidding. I looked at one of these firsthand. Construction was not horrible, but...well, it did fit into that "get what you pay for" category.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dcoleh

Posted March 11, 2009 - 07:03 PM

Cuba??? Just kidding. I looked at one of these firsthand. Construction was not horrible, but...well, it did fit into that "get what you pay for" category.

I love the "get what you pay for" idea. Thats like saying pay full MSRP on something because if you buy it for a discount you get lesser quality on the exact same product. I know that is not really what you mean, but I don't buy into this idea most of the time.

I agree that the "get what you pay for" idea can hold up in some cases, but if a product is sold through Parts Unlimited then any reasonable person can see that both the Manufacturer and Parts Unlimited has to make a nice 30-50% profit otherwise they both will eventually go out of business. If something is sold directly from the manufacturer and you can cut out the "middle man", you can also cutout the margin the middle man has to make and get the same or equivalent product for a lesser price.

I am not just talking about the Lexx, but many other products out there.

I would dare say that an FMF Powercore slip on exhaust that retails for 329 would be closer to 250 if they sold it direct and not through Parts unlimited. (Yes, the same exact exhaust, same quality, same brand name) This puts it very close to the price of the Lexx. I am not claiming that the Lexx is or isn't on par in quality with the FMF, but the reason you "get what you pay for" on the FMF is because there are two levels of mark up and the consumer pays for both of them. So if you like to "get what you pay for" go ahead and keep getting what ever it is you are getting. I am going to try to be smart about my purchases and save some cash as long as the products are close to the same in quality and performance. I have purchased, used and experimented with pretty much all of the brands of exhaust and can say that the Lexx is on par with most of the exhaust brands out there.

I understand you can argue R&D and brand name, etc etc etc. I have nothing for you there, Lexx is new and doesn't sponser any big riders that I know of so I don't know how they stack up in that department. JMHO

• RCannon

Posted March 12, 2009 - 04:06 AM

I dont know if I even meant to slam the product. They brought somethign to market for much less than anyone else has. I like that idea very much. Especially on a part thats easy to damage. It would also be a mistake to think RM is not marking that exhaust up as much as any other exhaust they sell. Granted, they eliminated the middleman in the deal. This would save some dollars.

Look back though a RM catalogue from 3-4years ago. Notice the name brand prices were much better. Each time a house brand item becomes available, the name brand product starts selling for full retail. This gives the illusion of a "great price". The best case of this is in their chain and sprocket section.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2009 - 06:50 AM

Something that wasn't brought up in the foregoing "rant" was that manufacturers who do sell larger quantities through the retail chain have to protect their retailers' profitability, or they won't have any retailers. In order for them to get the local 400 sq/ft parts shop to sell their stuff, they must discourage mass discounters from undercutting them by too much, and avoid selling directly to the public at prices lower than a small shop pays for them, unless they want to set up their own end-to-end marketing. That, of course, would be an extra expense, and raise the price.

Small volume startup or custom builders can sell a good product for less, as MRD does, as long as they remain small and sell direct. As soon as they start marketing through jobbers and retailers, they either have to raise the price, or take a cut out of their own share.

The remark referencing "you get what you pay for" as being the same as paying full retail for everything is a bit spurious. The "old saying", as everyone knows, is intended to point out the wisdom of selectivity in choosing high quality over low, and not to discourage shopping for the best price on the selected product. Not a good example.

• dcoleh

Posted March 12, 2009 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for contributing to the "rant" grayracer.

I didn't think anyone was really slamming the product, just wanted to point out that just because something is less expensive doesn't mean it is inferior. I hear this all the time. There are too many other factors involved to give a blanket statement of "you get what you pay for"!

I used the extreme example of paying full retail to make a point of how you can mis-use this saying. It obviously doesn't make any sense, that is easy to see! One should absolutely shop around and find the best value.

The interesting thing about this discussion is that there are too many poeple who just think that because it costs more it is better. That is not always the case, and especially not in this industry. I have worked in the industry and seen many of the manufacturing facilities where many of these products are made. I have seen the same manufacturer making the exact same product for two different brands that sell for two different prices. This happens alot in this industry.

You are correct about the prices of the name brand stuff going up, and what you mention may be happening. But I think we should have expected the increase regardless of the house brand. The cost of steel and aluminum have skyrocketed over the last few years and that will have a dramatic effect on the price of the exhaust.

One thing about name brand products is that alot of them have pricing policies (grayracer mentions this in his post) that regulate how cheap you can sell their products, so RM or Cycle gear or your local dealer can't sell the product cheaper even if they wanted to. This protects profit margins for the little guys. So most of the price increases you are seeing in the catalog are actually just new prices set by the manufacturer that RM has no control over. Most of the big names have very strict pricing policies.

• lanham

Posted March 12, 2009 - 08:31 AM

I just received my new Rocky Mountain ATV/MC catalog and saw that they were advertising a slip on called the Lexx MXe (page 356-357). The most interesting part was that the pipe was listed for two hundred dollars less than the closest slip-on competitor. It even comes with a spark arrestor. I assume this must be a house brand which I have had great luck with in the past when dealing with RM ATV/MC.

Has anyone had any experience with this slip-on pipe? I know that any slip-on seems to open the 08 up, but is this a "too good to be true" price for a SA slip-on?

Thanks for the feedback.

I cannot find this slip-on pine for a YZ450 anywhere....

• lanham

Posted March 12, 2009 - 08:51 AM

You have a YZ450F (thing with 2 wheels)? Do you have a Rocky part number for this pipe? Thanks.

• dcoleh

Posted March 12, 2009 - 12:05 PM

You have a YZ450F (thing with 2 wheels)? Do you have a Rocky part number for this pipe? Thanks.

Yes, with 2 wheels. I had the same problem, I had to call them and order it over the phone. I had to talk to a technical guy and he mentioned something about me getting one of the first ones and that they hadn't received their main shipment yet. Maybe that is why it doesn't show up on the web yet.

• Boise93

Posted March 12, 2009 - 02:58 PM

Yes, with 2 wheels. I had the same problem, I had to call them and order it over the phone. I had to talk to a technical guy and he mentioned something about me getting one of the first ones and that they hadn't received their main shipment yet. Maybe that is why it doesn't show up on the web yet.

Spring/Summer 2009 Catalog.
Page 356-357.
MC MXe Slip-On Exhaust System... $199.99
Part # 120-192
RM # for more help 800.336.5437

Hope this helps.

• RCannon

Posted March 12, 2009 - 05:13 PM

RM is a perfect example of the price "minimum" done by the big boys. I listened to the RM owner scream when PC made them stay near retail on the pro circuit pipes. He was livid about it. Shortly after that PC started having a smaller presence in their catalogue. A few weeks later , Tusk branding showed up. They were quality and priced right. They also brought boots in for 89.95 that were identical to one of the big brands boots that sold for 179.99. All was well. They still have a few deals like that.

Then things went bad. Tusk chains and sprockets went up in price, but so did name brand items. Right now Chaparal will sell you a did ert2 for 49.99. RM wants 74.99. Thats nonsense. There are countless other items listed in the catalogue like that.

So, with regards to the exhaust, RM is now getting the profit for themselves from the sale as well as the middleman profit. The stuff is copied in china and made with material quality that could be suspect.

So, you do get what you pay for in this case. Dont think that 199 or 219 is going to get you Acropovich quality..its not. Your getting a price point built product from China. I have no problem with the ideas here..not everyone wants top of the line. However, its a mistake to think RM is being nice and offering a top quality part at 199.99

• dcoleh

Posted March 12, 2009 - 08:33 PM

RM is a perfect example of the price "minimum" done by the big boys. I listened to the RM owner scream when PC made them stay near retail on the pro circuit pipes. He was livid about it. Shortly after that PC started having a smaller presence in their catalogue. A few weeks later , Tusk branding showed up. They were quality and priced right. They also brought boots in for 89.95 that were identical to one of the big brands boots that sold for 179.99. All was well. They still have a few deals like that.

Then things went bad. Tusk chains and sprockets went up in price, but so did name brand items. Right now Chaparal will sell you a did ert2 for 49.99. RM wants 74.99. Thats nonsense. There are countless other items listed in the catalogue like that.

So, with regards to the exhaust, RM is now getting the profit for themselves from the sale as well as the middleman profit. The stuff is copied in china and made with material quality that could be suspect.

So, you do get what you pay for in this case. Dont think that 199 or 219 is going to get you Acropovich quality..its not. Your getting a price point built product from China. I have no problem with the ideas here..not everyone wants top of the line. However, its a mistake to think RM is being nice and offering a top quality part at 199.99

Rcannon,

Apparently you have a beef with RM. I don't know why, but that is an entirely different subject.

I find it interesting that you are comparing the DID ERT2 chain... it is on sale at Chaparral and it isn't at RM -- great comparison! I would think you would be smarter than that based off of your previous posts that seemed educated and respectable. Look at any other DID chain and you will see that RM is cheaper than Chaparral by a couple of bucks. The in house brand of chains at RM are much cheaper than the comparable DID chains.

The exhaust isn't made in China (I asked), nor is it a copy of anything I have ever seen - it is very unique. As far as materials, I don't know - maybe you have a point, it could be made of suspect materials but I can't tell. And the exhaust on my quad has over a year on it without any problems.

You are right, you could never get a Akrapovic slip on for 200 or even 219 -- but if you shop around you can cut out the middle man and pay 244 on ebay... check out ebay and the comments someone else made in this same thread. That is a savings of 300 bucks over retail.

Its amazing what you can save if you cut out the middle man. You imply their quality is much higher than that of the Lexx, so how can someone possibly sell it so cheap? Maybe it is on sale like the chain at Chaparral? Maybe it costs about the same as the Lexx to manufacture? Or maybe someone is out of their mind and decided to sell it at a huge loss just for the hell of it?

I don't know why it is so cheap, but you get what you pay for so don't buy it
because it won't be nearly as nice as the $500 higher quality version -- it will probably closer to the quality of the Lexx.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.