is $800 a good price for a 98'wr400

8 replies to this topic
  • yzren

Posted March 10, 2009 - 06:32 PM

quite a range of used-bike values out there. a friend of mine is asking $800 for 98' wr400. it was purchased in south america or something. so apart from the possible registration problems it has some issues

fork seals leaking
needs tires
need foot pegs
been modded to yz timing
very difficult to start

is this a good price?
if you have a moment to share an opinion i would love to hear it. been wanting something with wide ratio gears. is this a good one to start with?
cheers

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 10, 2009 - 06:35 PM

The registration issues can be very substantial. I would not buy an out of country bike without the owner walking into the DMV with me....

• 150 Fuelie

Posted March 10, 2009 - 06:38 PM

I'd stay away from it.......

By the way, what's the guys phone number :p

• hillclimbguy

Posted March 10, 2009 - 10:41 PM

Walk away from it. I got a bike from Canada. What a headache. Could never register in US. Too many issues with customs, emissions and paper trail after paper trail. Had to by a US frame from E-bay to register. In the end i came out ok. But would not do it again. Never, never, never and never.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 10, 2009 - 11:33 PM

Walk away from it. I got a bike from Canada. What a headache. Could never register in US. Too many issues with customs, emissions and paper trail after paper trail. Had to by a US frame from E-bay to register. In the end i came out ok. But would not do it again. Never, never, never and never.

I bought a yz250 that was shipped over from Japan last year. I needed a new frame to get it registered. It cost me $100 for a frame off of ebay and a weekend to do the swap. I would have torn everything down anyways to grease the swing arm and put anti-seize on the moto mount bolts.

it was worth it... but mine didn't need anything other than the frame swap. Make sure that it doesn't need $2000 in repairs

• vfr661

Posted March 11, 2009 - 06:50 AM

Although the price looks good I'd not buy it since you'll have to deal with the headache of registering with DMV. There are good deals out there due to our bad economy. I recently pick up a 00 WR400 for $1400 with a stuck float valve in the carb which I fixed.

• yzren

Posted March 11, 2009 - 05:00 PM

thanks guys. i wasnt thinking the dmv would be to bad since the seller is a friend and we could go in together. but the horror stories have put it into perspective. i tend to dream and dream and dammit that bike looks cool. my wife hates it when i am in the garage to long, but i like working on them. i will look into a price reduction and a trip to the dmv.
cheers

• bionic218

Posted March 11, 2009 - 05:05 PM

If it's a complete bike, I'd give close to that for resale on ebay. No BS. Parts buyers don't care about registration.

• yzren

Posted March 11, 2009 - 05:31 PM

If it's a complete bike, I'd give close to that for resale on ebay. No BS. Parts buyers don't care about registration.

:) good stuff

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.