08 WR450 dual sport conversion questions

8 replies to this topic
  • yamaha wr

Posted March 09, 2009 - 05:45 PM

I own a 08 wr 450 and wanted to get the stuff to convert the bike to a dual sport, about 50/50 road to dirt use. I live in canada and was looking for the parts i need to do this. Like signals, licence plate bracket, horn etc... The big question is where to find these parts and at a reasonable price.

• KennyMc

Posted March 09, 2009 - 08:30 PM

I used the Baja Designs stuff. Simple plug and play was worth it to me (well, there is the stator mod). They provide all of the new wiring harnesses and the connections have been solid. For me, great experience.

• Routt North

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:58 AM

I have an 08' WR450 and also did the Baja Designs kit. It was simple, however the stator mod was a little tricky but not bad by any means. I also have a set of brand new TW304 Bridgestone Dual Sport 50/50 tires for sale if you are interested.

• KennyMc

Posted March 10, 2009 - 01:57 PM

I have an 08' WR450 and also did the Baja Designs kit. It was simple, however the stator mod was a little tricky but not bad by any means. I also have a set of brand new TW304 Bridgestone Dual Sport 50/50 tires for sale if you are interested.

Yeah, it was easy for me.
1) Remove stator
2) Send stator to Baja Designs for mod (along with $30 check):p
3) Replace said stator.
4) Forget to tuck stator wire behind bracket in side case:banghead:
5) Bike crap out in the middle of Kennedy Meadows sweet single track
6) Get towed out by CRF450R
7) Replace with new stator ensuring to tuck wires behind bracket

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 10, 2009 - 06:37 PM

6) Get towed out by CRF450R

Ken this sounds like the worst part :p

• Routt North

Posted March 11, 2009 - 07:41 AM

I did the mod myself and got lucky I guess. After I did that I would say it is worth the $30.

• face_plant

Posted March 11, 2009 - 12:39 PM

www.wheelingcyclesupply. drc kit
no stator mod needed its self contained with AA batteries or wire it to your battery, and its all LED so there is very little power drain

05wr450

• Pipefitter317

Posted March 17, 2009 - 02:35 PM

I have purchased the kit off of Rocky Mountain ATV. It does not require any mods to the stator, plus it has really nice l.e.d. turn signals, and a very nice mount for the license plate. Very easy install, everything is quick connect. If you go to the web site for rocky mountain, just enter your bike and it will lead you to the parts available for your bike. I did a ton of research and I am confident that this is the best kit out there! P.s the kit is made by RYCO and it sells for 375.00, worth every penny.

• kpie

Posted March 22, 2009 - 07:19 PM

I just installed my Ryco kit yesterday. Excellent quality parts and very clean looking as it uses the existing headlight and tail light units.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.