timesert

10 replies to this topic
  • rjcook450

Posted March 09, 2009 - 05:21 PM

What size timesert is used for oilfilter drain hole?
thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2009 - 06:54 PM

Which drain hole in what kind of bike?

• travisn

Posted March 09, 2009 - 07:13 PM

whats a timesert?

• rjcook450

Posted March 09, 2009 - 08:07 PM

sorry, 08 yz450f. the oilfilter cover drain bolt.

• heykenny

Posted March 09, 2009 - 08:13 PM

whats a timesert?

http://www.timesert.com/

a superior alternative to helicoil... imo

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2009 - 06:41 AM

sorry, 08 yz450f. the oilfilter cover drain bolt.

M6x1.0

• nickeenoo

Posted March 10, 2009 - 03:32 PM

I read a post a while back stating that the length of the Timesert that comes with the kit is not long enought to block of the oil passage through the drain hole. I didn't measure when I did mine I just ordered the next biggest size and had no problems. You might want to check that before you order.

Nate

• rjcook450

Posted March 10, 2009 - 04:58 PM

ok, ill check length, if you had no problems with next longest size than ill go with that also.

• grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:29 PM

I read a post a while back stating that the length of the Timesert that comes with the kit is not long enought to block of the oil passage through the drain hole. I didn't measure when I did mine I just ordered the next biggest size and had no problems. You might want to check that before you order.

Nate

That's an important point, because if the insert, regardless of brand, fails to extend in far enough to block off the drain hole that's drilled into that bolt hole, it will cause a loss of oil pressure. If you have nay doubts about it, plug the drain hole:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

• rjcook450

Posted March 11, 2009 - 01:12 PM

Nate

so instead of the 9.4 in length you went with 12.0 and that blocked off oil passage through drain bolt completely?

• nickeenoo

Posted March 11, 2009 - 04:41 PM

so instead of the 9.4 in length you went with 12.0 and that blocked off oil passage through drain bolt completely?

I think so but its been a while since I did it. The sure fire way would be to just measure the distance to the back side of the hole from the outside of the oil filter cavity. You could easily do this with a paper clip with a small bend on the end.

From memory the 9.4 was just a hair short so the 12 should work fine. You could always order the kit with a few different sizes of TimeSerts and then use the one that works. I just asked them to swap a few out when I ordered and it was no problem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.