What a loud noise?

5 replies to this topic
  • On The Road again

Posted March 09, 2009 - 07:58 AM

Just got a 07 Wr450 and is the engine always this loud?

Stock set up right now except a aluminum skid plate. I am used to a 06 klr 650 and when I was riding the WR the noise from the engine it's self seems so bang bang like metal to metal?

Are all off-road 4 strokes like this?

Thankss, Jimmy D

• Frostbite

Posted March 09, 2009 - 08:22 AM

Just got a 07 Wr450 and is the engine always this loud?

Stock set up right now except a aluminum skid plate. I am used to a 06 klr 650 and when I was riding the WR the noise from the engine it's self seems so bang bang like metal to metal?

Are all off-road 4 strokes like this?

Thankss, Jimmy D

the WR engines are a bit noisier than other dirtbikes i have had, but it should only be whir whir, not bang-bang. If it's a solid metllic sound with a very steady beat, and louder when you put the engine under strain, it may be the crankshaft. I'm installing a new crank in my 07 WR450 right now. The bottom end bearing went bad.

• starfish

Posted March 09, 2009 - 04:20 PM

Does the noise go away when you pull the clutch in? At low rpm and around twenty mph the chain bangs off the swing arm. If you pick up the rpm the noise will go away. Just a thought.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • On The Road again

Posted March 09, 2009 - 08:33 PM

Thanks, I went out this evening seems like its just that the WR is louder than others.

Jimmy D

• KennyMc

Posted March 09, 2009 - 08:36 PM

The aluminum skid plate will also amplify the noises.

If you are getting the chain slap, it is the swingarm chain protector. I put a strip of thin weatherstripping material under it which silenced it. On the road it was much worse.

• On The Road again

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:27 AM

cool! It was much louder on the road. I guess
i became used to the rubber mounts on the KLR. Thanks, Jimmy D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.