anyone installed new starter jet on WR450?

11 replies to this topic
  • yamaharichey

Posted February 18, 2003 - 12:19 PM

My starter jet is in, I ordered a 70 and 72, I can't recall if any one has reported the results of their cold starting with the new jet. I've done all the other jetting and it starts very easy when warm, it also starts pretty easy when cold, but you have to give it about an 8th throttle.

• Motorod

Posted February 18, 2003 - 04:27 PM

I've got one ordered, can't get all the stuff I ordered. Makes it tough to jet the bike! Let us know when you try it. My bike started pretty easy as soon as I remembered to push the ignition button :).

• allinson

Posted February 18, 2003 - 04:31 PM

John,
Keep in mind that the starter jet is used only when the choke is on. At your advise, I went with a 48, I am thinking that the 48 is too rich (barely). I am going to drop to a 45 or take my fuel screw in 1/4 of a turn. I think that is why the throttle needs to be opened 1/8, to let in some air. I don't think 1/8 is putting any gas in the tube. I would try the fuel screw first.

• ddialogue

Posted February 18, 2003 - 04:34 PM

My bike started pretty easy as soon as I remembered to push the ignition button...

And I thought I was the only one. I probably kicked it 7 or 8 times before I realized it wasn't on.

:confused:Why won't it start??
:blush:Duh! How embarrassing.
:DMy bro-in-law laughing at me as he pushed his e-button.

• Motorod

Posted February 18, 2003 - 04:38 PM

Ya, and I thought this new electric leg solved all my problems! Wish I had only kicked it 6 times, more like 25 with my wife watching the first time I started the bike. :) :D

• yamaharichey

Posted February 19, 2003 - 07:32 AM

Allinson, I went from a 45 to a 48 Pilot and to me it still seems too lean in the lower revs. I'am going to try a 50. Maybe I'am screwed up on this, but I rode it down in St. George which is much lower and it was still hesitant and back firing a little. Also I realize the starter jet is for choke only, and you would think that if you have to give it a little gas with the choke on that its too rich and yet the YZ450 has a 72 starter jet compared to our 65's and those start first kick. Thats why I was wondering if any one has tryed the bigger starter jet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Millertime

Posted February 19, 2003 - 07:48 AM

I installed a 72 with the help of jeff from eugene and was amazed at how well it starts cold, pull choke, no gas, starts on first try, 10 to 15 second warm up and off choke. Also installed 160 main and 48 pilot. I think you will like it. my first ride, it took about 5 minutes to get it started and forever to warm up. heading for central Oregon saturday to try out new jetting.
MT

• jeff_eugene_or

Posted February 19, 2003 - 08:11 AM

Yes, I have installed the 72 starter jet and it starts much better when cold. It is the way to go!
Jeff

• BEAN329

Posted February 19, 2003 - 04:53 PM

how cold is your cold.

in maryland in my garage its @50, have to use choke, plus 2 or 3 blips of throttle.

i think i will wait for higher temps to change starter jetting.

• Alabama_Rider

Posted February 19, 2003 - 06:37 PM

The factory starter jetting works great in over 60 degree starting, at sea level, where I live. Always starts up within 5 seconds. 158 main is also just right. Stock pilot is not. I can't believe that dealers don't stock more jets. I am still waiting on a pilot jet.

• Taffy

Posted February 19, 2003 - 11:38 PM

i can't believe the high PJ numbers you boys are running. it's less than 12 months since the thread "jetting Qs" was some sort of bible here with PJ's around 35/38.

what the hell happened. someone puts a 50m in and then thinks it's running lean!?!?

the bikes are sharper and crisper with the very low PAJ/PJ ratios. how on earth you ever reached 50 i shall never know.

Taffy

• msgbean

Posted February 20, 2003 - 05:32 AM

I'm at around 4000 ft and a 48 pilot made things worse. Went to a 40 and its much better.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.