Finally Going to De-octopus, have Q's

5 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted August 08, 2002 - 08:00 AM

As if I haven't screwed up my carb and jetting enough, I decided to finally de-octopus ('99 WR that is YZ timed). I have a couple of Q's. I am at altitude in Denver and ride 6000 to 13,000 feet. Do I still use the suggested air and start jets in the tech section?

- Supposed to change from 75 to 100 on the pilot air jet and go from 60 to 65 on the start jet.

- Anyone know the size of the auto vacuum line caps that you use to plug the holes?

- Wasn't there a picture of the de-octopussed carb? Anyone have the link to it.

Thanks, Doug

• Old_Novice

Posted August 08, 2002 - 08:39 AM

- Supposed to change from 75 to 100 on the pilot air jet- Don't do this unless you are running a really big pilot jet. I did that, the bike popped really bad on decel. I went to a 42PJ and reinstalled the 75PAJ and that was still a bit lean at closed throttle with the DVR needle. My buddy was running a 48/100 on his YZ and it popped bad with the throttle closed. He swapped in my 42/75 & DVP needle when I changed setups and that stopped his decel popping. That has worked well in both bikes now.

- and go from 60 to 65 on the start jet.- I did this, though I can't tell you that I noticed a diference starting the bike.

- Anyone know the size of the auto vacuum line caps that you use to plug the holes?- There are actually 2 different sizes if I remember correctly (one needs to be larger than the other). Just pull the hose and measure them before you go to the parts store. I eyeballed it and was close enough.

- Wasn't there a picture of the de-octopussed carb? Anyone have the link to it.- I saved that pic on my computer at home. I can email it to you tonight if someone else can't point you to it before then.

HTH

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: Old_Novice ]

• Bill

Posted August 08, 2002 - 09:21 PM

Dougie,

The jetting changes were part of a needle change (DVP). I've looked around TT and cannot find the old article, that Clark wrote. You could take the jetting in my signature and and get Taffy to give you an idea what to run for a main and pilot at your altitude.

I went to Auto Zone or Advance auto and found an assortment pack of Blue vacum caps. It was in their hop-up section where they keep chrome air cleaners and such.

I wished I had a digital camera, sorry!

Bill

He isn't that boy about 1 now?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted August 08, 2002 - 10:10 AM

I should say that I am close on the jetting. I currently am running EKQ #2, 160 main, 40 pilot. Runs OK. Runs better when it is around 75 degrees than in the 80s or 90s. But I thought I remembered someone saying not to change the air and start jets at altitude.

• Old_Novice

Posted August 08, 2002 - 10:44 AM

Dougie, just for fun, what pipe are you running? We are really close in jetting and I think I am still a bit lean (EKP #3, 38PJ ,65PAJ, 155MJ, 160MAJ). Based on what you are running, I would not change the PAJ to 100.

Taffy posted a list of PJ/PAJ ratios not too long ago (on Jetting Qs I think) and his suggeston for a 40 PJ was a 70 PAJ (but if you were within 10 on the PAJ you were probably close enough).

Good luck, I am off to find some of those blue vacuum caps! That is way cooler than the plain black ones I have now. :)

• Dougie

Posted August 08, 2002 - 11:05 AM

I am running a FMF power core IV muffler and the FMF Hi Flo header, with a good size dent in it :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.