03 yz 450 kickstarter bouncing around

3 replies to this topic
  • hudydog

Posted March 08, 2009 - 02:43 PM

My kick starter seems to have too much play in it. When it is tucked in normal position for riding it moves forward and back a little too much. I checked the bolt and it still moves or vibrates too much Any advice on how to tighten it up so it doesn't do this. I am afraid it is tearing up gears inside the case

• aj_yz426

Posted March 08, 2009 - 03:37 PM

Is it moving on the splines of the kick axle shaft? in that case it may be stripped, you may be able to pull it off, clean everyting and retighten the kickstarter back in position on the shaft.

If the free-play is at the shaft (with the kickstarter off), then maybe something inside such as the torsion spring is loose/broken? you would need to pull the right case cover and inspect/replace.

Alittle free play may be normal, somebody else might answer that? A small amount of free play at the kickstarter axle would be more at the end of the kickstarter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2009 - 04:46 PM

The shaft itself should have no rotational free travel at rest that is not resisted by the spring. I think you are right in your suggestions.

• hudydog

Posted March 08, 2009 - 07:00 PM

there is no free play with the kick starter off. Will have to study it and get back to ya. Just seems a little sloppy while the bike is running

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.