Clutch Drive gear issue/Grooved Basket

7 replies to this topic
  • HONDA NO MORE

Posted March 08, 2009 - 10:32 AM

Last year I had to do a full motor teardown due to getting sand in my motor. While putting it back together i noticed that the teeth on the back side of the clutch basket did not fully engage the primary drive gear coming off of the crank. Does anyone have an 06 450 that can verify how much engagement there is supposed to be? I looked on my friends 08 and his teeth fully engage with eachother.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Question 2
Once I completed this project and got the bike running i couldn't find neutral while it was running. Is this due to the basket being grooved as shown in the pictures? A friend said that he had a similar problem due to tighting the nut that holds the inner hub onto the transmission shaft to tight, could this cause a similar problem? Also what are your opinions on filing the clutch basket fingers ever so slightly to get rid of the grooves?
The bike makes a hellacious growling sound while running, similar to the sound it used to make when the clutch was pulled in.
:moon: :ride: :p

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2009 - 02:39 PM

Question 2
Once I completed this project and got the bike running i couldn't find neutral while it was running. Is this due to the basket being grooved as shown in the pictures? A friend said that he had a similar problem due to tighting the nut that holds the inner hub onto the transmission shaft to tight, could this cause a similar problem? Also what are your opinions on filing the clutch basket fingers ever so slightly to get rid of the grooves?
The bike makes a hellacious growling sound while running, similar to the sound it used to make when the clutch was pulled in.

Based on the wear pattern on your driven gear, it's always been like that. I've seen this kind of mismatch before many times. If you double check your assembly, and the established wear pattern agrees, don't sweat it.

The notched basket can contribute to clutch drag, as can a number of other things (are you running new plates?) One of the things that will not contribute to it is overtightening the mainshaft nut.

Don't file out the notches; you can't get them uniformly reshaped from one finger to the next, and they'll just wear out again. Replacing the basket with a Hinson or other replacement part is less expensive than OEM, and lasts longer.

A growling noise in neutral that goes away when you pull the clutch is normal. If you have a skid plate, it can radically amplify such noises. Try removing it just for fun.

http://www.thumperta...282#post5362282

• HONDA NO MORE

Posted March 08, 2009 - 05:49 PM

Gray thanks for the response. I do run a skid plate, but there was more noise once I got the motor back together than before the full tear down, so I was a little nervous about the extra noise. What years of clutch baskets will fit? I think someone on here told me 05-07 should be a drop in fit, does this sound right to you?

• grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2009 - 06:55 PM

think someone on here told me 05-07 should be a drop in fit, does this sound right to you?

Yes, it's the same part in those 3 years.

The skid plate on my son's bike made so much more noise after I did the top end that I opened the motor part way back up just to be sure. It must have gone back on a little differently than it came off. Line it with an old thin inner tube where it contacts the frame and try it again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HONDA NO MORE

Posted March 08, 2009 - 09:30 PM

Yes, it's the same part in those 3 years.

The skid plate on my son's bike made so much more noise after I did the top end that I opened the motor part way back up just to be sure. It must have gone back on a little differently than it came off. Line it with an old thin inner tube where it contacts the frame and try it again.

Ha, Imagine the great Gray messing something up, that is some good humor:lol: :p :ride: That is about as unlikely to happen as the valves going out on a YZ.

• sledtrash

Posted November 10, 2011 - 06:04 PM

Don't file out the notches; you can't get them uniformly reshaped from one finger to the next, and they'll just wear out again. Replacing the basket with a Hinson or other replacement part is less expensive than OEM, and lasts longer.

What about putting it in a mill and machining the grooves off what's you opinion on that gray? Mine developed some grooves over the summer so I'm thinking about trying to get another summer out of it.

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2011 - 07:25 AM

Milling on a rotary table so that you can index the surfaces correctly in relation to each other would be OK from the standpoint of distributing the drive load properly, but you'd still have a lot of extra clearance between the plate tabs and the basket that would exaggerate impact damage.

• sledtrash

Posted November 11, 2011 - 07:52 AM

Ok that makes sense. Thanks gray sorry for pulling up an old thread. I'm just trying to research before starting my own. :busted:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.