quickjet, how to?

12 replies to this topic
  • ch_250

Posted March 07, 2009 - 03:55 PM

I bought my bike with a quick jet on it. How does it work? what exactly does it do? any info would be great.

• mc1hd

Posted March 07, 2009 - 07:49 PM

Not sure what a quick jet is, have heard of the dial a jet that Dicks racing would like us to buy but personally do not think its necessary.

• ch_250

Posted March 09, 2009 - 09:03 AM

This thing is a small knob sticking out of the bottom of the carb. My boss whom i baught it from said it adjusts air/fuel mixture. He said when he had a pipe on the bike it helped a lot for quick adjustments on hotter or colder days or when he went up north to higher altitudes and such.

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2009 - 09:46 AM

This thing is a small knob sticking out of the bottom of the carb. My boss whom i baught it from said it adjusts air/fuel mixture. He said when he had a pipe on the bike it helped a lot for quick adjustments on hotter or colder days or when he went up north to higher altitudes and such.

That is simply an extended pilot screw. It does adjust fuel mix, but only in the idle circuit, which is important for starting, among other things. It has little effect on anything after the throttle is opened more than 1/4.

• Wiz636

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:03 AM

With the bike warm set it to a high idle. Turn the fuel screw in until the bike starts to run poorly then slowly back it out until it starts to run poorly, then turn it back in until you get it to the point at which the bike is running best...the sweet spot.

Anytime there is a temperature or elevation change you should make an adjustment.

• ch_250

Posted March 10, 2009 - 05:27 PM

cool, this makes sense. my bike seems to jump over the "sweet spot. it either revs too low at idle or too high. if i try to set it to that sweet spot this is what happens: it idles real nice until i crack the throttle a little. then it revs up and only comes down to a certain point, which is still far too high. to get it to rev lower again i tap the decompression lever and then it idles nice, but it doesn't seem to want to go to that sweet spot. Is this because i need to adjust that screw? is it running a little rich?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 10, 2009 - 07:33 PM

Lean.

• ch_250

Posted March 11, 2009 - 09:00 AM

why do you say that?

• grayracer513

Posted March 11, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Because a lean idle mixture is what causes the symptoms you have.

• JamesNad

Posted March 11, 2009 - 03:16 PM

defiantly lean if it revs up and doesn't wanna come down, might back fire alittle too,

• GASIT426

Posted March 12, 2009 - 10:26 AM

Yeah my bike does that too and need to adjust my fuel/air mixture....sometimes it idles perfect until i blip the throttle good and then it wants to idle high. It also back fires some but from I have read you wont ever be able to completely stop this when letting off the throttle b/c of the stock cam in it...it's just the way it is.

• grayracer513

Posted March 12, 2009 - 11:39 AM

it... back fires some but from I have read you wont ever be able to completely stop this when letting off the throttle b/c of the stock cam in it...it's just the way it is.

You can stop it, if the exhaust has no leaks in it, but you have to make the idle mixture richer than it really should be in order to do so. It's normal for it to pop "some".

Something else that causes "hanging" idles is tight intake valves. Check yours.

• ch_250

Posted March 12, 2009 - 08:15 PM

ya mine pops some too. i'll adjust it soon.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.