Can I mix different 2stroke oils

22 replies to this topic
  • krook250

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:07 PM

This may seem ridiculous, but I have two gas cans. one for my cr250, and one for my yz125. The gas is a week or two old. The oil is already mixed with gas. For the cr I use HP-2, for the yz I use Yamalube. Can I mix both those in one can and put in CR? Or is that a big No NO:naughty: ? I'm not broke, so if it's gonna hurt in any way, I dont want to do it, but if it doesn't matter, I would like to take it all out and burn it through the honda this weekend.

• Ho450

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:10 PM

as long as the gas/oil mixture is the same, burn it.:p

• krook250

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:14 PM

i think they are pretty close, which brings me to another question. When I was living in San Diego, everybody ran 40:1, now I'm in portland and I am told only 32:1. I understand engine protection and I am down with that.

But I think both cans are real close to 32:1

• Tray11

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:15 PM

I agree it's the same basic priniciple with all 2 stroke oil. Run the hell out of it!:p

• krook250

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:18 PM

there won't be a turf war taking place inside my engine?
Bloods vs. Crips

• Tray11

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:36 PM

there won't be a turf war taking place inside my engine?
Bloods vs. Crips

Ha!:ride: no there won't be. the mixture all depends on how much you're on the gas and what kind of climate you're in, just listen to the riders who are from there they probably know what the proper mixture is. I run 50:1 on my 05 and nothing bad has happened, but when i was running 32:1 or 42:1 i was fouling plugs left and right. Since i changed i haven't fouled one yet.:p

• krook250

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:52 PM

50:1! Damn. I gues it would differ from riding envoirments as well then? In the sand I am always on the gas, trails, not so much. Track...we'll see sunday.

• Tray11

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:58 PM

50:1! Damn. I gues it would differ from riding envoirments as well then? In the sand I am always on the gas, trails, not so much. Track...we'll see sunday.

Yah like I said I ran 32:1 forever but kept fouling plugs (2 within an hour). changed the jetting and went to 42:1 still fouling. then said screw it and decided to change my ratio so high that it couldn't possibly foul. and so far it works. I ride track and trails, there's no sand in Alabama except on the beach, but i'm pretty sure i'd get kicked off pretty quickly.:p

• MXkid714

Posted March 06, 2009 - 02:03 PM

fouling plugs isnt from the mixture, its from off jetting...

• 1987CR250R

Posted March 06, 2009 - 06:30 PM

I wouldn't mix castor and mineral/synthetic oil because they have very different properties. I would feel confident mixing mineral and synthetic oils. I do it all of the time, I'll have a gallon of gas mixed with Amsoil in my tank but won't be able to get the same oil somewhere else so I'll mix in some Bel-Ray instead.

• hillclimbguy

Posted March 07, 2009 - 08:04 AM

In a pinch I would mix gas. But would not make a practice out of it. Synthetic an castor base oils are different. Though they mix with gas, the oils may not mix with each other for proper lubrication for your motor.
This information I got from engineers from a indepentent study. So they did not favor any brand of oil.
This was good enough information for me!

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted March 07, 2009 - 10:29 PM

In a pinch I would mix gas. But would not make a practice out of it. Synthetic an castor base oils are different. Though they mix with gas, the oils may not mix with each other for proper lubrication for your motor.
This information I got from engineers from a indepentent study. So they did not favor any brand of oil.
This was good enough information for me!

I agree this sounds good to me. Hell gas and oil is pretty expensive anyway! I would probably not mix gas if it was for a race but for week end riding ?!! I'm running it. Most don't mix different oils and ratios anyway.

• robby111

Posted March 08, 2009 - 05:45 AM

I run 32:1 and the only fouled 2 plugs since I've had the bike. But that was because I just got it and never owned a 2-stroke before so I was just putting round like a 4-stroke:bonk:

Get your jetting right and you should never foul a plug:thumbsup:

• cdg123

Posted March 08, 2009 - 08:19 AM

Without turning this into a huge debate over oil ratios, I have mixed different types of 2 stroke oil in the past based on what was available in my locality. From my experience it should not matter, although different oils may have slightly different properties in different engines. Case and point, I ran cheapo Castrol mix oil in my 1989 CR250 at 32:1 and it did foul spark plugs. Not having time to rejet I ended up running that tank down low enough and switching to Maxima synthetic 2 stroke oil and the plug fouling stopped completely and the bike actually seemed to pick up some bottom end throttle response. When I finally had time to rejet it ran a lot better though.

My 1982 CR 480 mixed at the same ratio didn't care if it was Castrol or anything else. It has yet to foul a plug. I mix it 32:1, uncertain if the original recommendations were 20:1 or 32:1.

Right now I run Spectro 2T or Maxima synthetic in my mix bikes since those two oils are practically available anywhere and I feel confident that the two synthetic oils will mix OK. They're even pretty close to the same color! :p

• SRM360

Posted March 08, 2009 - 08:40 AM

http://www.georgiaof...hp?f=17&t=34158 Here is a link to a topic about the right ratio mix. The kind of oil seems to make all the difference in the world. And it is the oil that gets better, not the metal that makes the motor. So in 84, when 20/1 was normal it is way more then you need to day.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted March 08, 2009 - 03:53 PM

I run 32:1 and the only fouled 2 plugs since I've had the bike. But that was because I just got it and never owned a 2-stroke before so I was just putting round like a 4-stroke:bonk:

Get your jetting right and you should never foul a plug:thumbsup:

agreed iv ran 20;1 hp2 syn now i run 20;1 ipone syn and havent fouled a plug yet on stock main jet and my pilot jet is 3 bigger if you foul plugs rejet it, dont run less oil

• Bama1

Posted March 11, 2009 - 07:25 AM

Yah like I said I ran 32:1 forever but kept fouling plugs (2 within an hour). changed the jetting and went to 42:1 still fouling. then said screw it and decided to change my ratio so high that it couldn't possibly foul. and so far it works. I ride track and trails, there's no sand in Alabama except on the beach, but i'm pretty sure i'd get kicked off pretty quickly.:)

i have always run at 32:1 castor 927 never fouled a plug

one day i may run my xrr down the beach by fort morgan take a few pics and get out.... i remember when i could go ride and camp out on the west end of daulphin island

• tnracing132

Posted March 11, 2009 - 09:45 PM

it's not like if you mix castor and synthetic/ mineral oil that they will protest and puddle in the corner of the gas can.

• 1987CR250R

Posted March 11, 2009 - 11:26 PM

You guys have a lot of personal experience that means a lot of nothing. The type of oil does not determine whether or not you foul plugs. Castor oil is a dirty oil. It will foul your power valve but not your spark plug if you don't maintain a regular cleaning schedule. Ever since going to synthetic oil on a bike notorious for fouling power valves I have not had to clean the power valve in the last 3 pistons. Castor oil and synthetic/mineral oils should not be mixed but any brand or synthetic or mineral oil are ok to mix (in fact many manufacturers make blends).

For oil ratios, most bikes are jetted from the factory to run between 20:1 and 28:1, some 250's might run as high as 32:1 from the factory. So, the factory jetting is set to run at these ratios. Anybody who runs 40:1+ and complains about fouling plugs is because they are getting too much fuel, not too much oil. Increasing the amount of oil in the mix reduces the amount of fuel available for combustion because it takes up volume*flow in the jets. Since most of us are not going to run 20:1 and lower, you do need to rejet. I run 32:1 in a 22 year old bike, I had to drop 8 sizes on the main jet from stock and 10 sizes on the pilot just to get the bike to run right. I am also one clip position higher on the needle (also leaner).

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted March 12, 2009 - 01:19 AM

You guys have a lot of personal experience that means a lot of nothing. The type of oil does not determine whether or not you foul plugs. Castor oil is a dirty oil. It will foul your power valve but not your spark plug if you don't maintain a regular cleaning schedule. Ever since going to synthetic oil on a bike notorious for fouling power valves I have not had to clean the power valve in the last 3 pistons. Castor oil and synthetic/mineral oils should not be mixed but any brand or synthetic or mineral oil are ok to mix (in fact many manufacturers make blends).

For oil ratios, most bikes are jetted from the factory to run between 20:1 and 28:1, some 250's might run as high as 32:1 from the factory. So, the factory jetting is set to run at these ratios. Anybody who runs 40:1+ and complains about fouling plugs is because they are getting too much fuel, not too much oil. Increasing the amount of oil in the mix reduces the amount of fuel available for combustion because it takes up volume*flow in the jets. Since most of us are not going to run 20:1 and lower, you do need to rejet. I run 32:1 in a 22 year old bike, I had to drop 8 sizes on the main jet from stock and 10 sizes on the pilot just to get the bike to run right. I am also one clip position higher on the needle (also leaner).

What makes you think your word means anything when you start your post insulting all of us who have contributed to this post? You might as well not write anything after the first line... hell we don't know anything right.... I mean personal experience..how could that help anyone.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

A few pics from Hollister this weekend on my 2002 CR250 by kawi008

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

blown up 2000 cr250 question? by johntoasty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Hondasaki? by braaaaaaaaaaaaap

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  92 replies
Forums
Photo

85 or 150? by drzrider04

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 6 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.