2002 Yz426f Header Pipe Turns Red!

6 replies to this topic
  • GASIT426

Posted March 06, 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hey gang! I posted this on another forum somewhere else, just trying to get some ideas. I'm new to this whole forum/thread posting thing so bear with me until I get used to this. Well to start it off, I got out of riding bikes several years ago. In 2005 I bought a 400EX and it just wasn't the thrill I was used to having, so this past week I sold it and bought me a 2002 YZ426F after hearing some good things about it. This thing is awesome. It's in mint condition, Protaper bars, Yamaha Factory graphics, and a Vortex sprocket out back. The original owner was a motorcycle mechanic moved the decomp. lever to where it is below the throttle which actually makes it easier to use IMO, and actually moved the HOT start switch up to the top on the handlebars and modified it so it did not look all jacked up...it's now a switch instead of a pull-out like the choke. So far I am pleased with this bike. It's a handfull and very ballsy but fun to ride all the same. I heard they were hard to start but after a few minutes of trial and error I learned the trick to getting it to fire up and have no problem out of it now....starts 1st or 2nd kick every time, hot or cold!!! My only concern is, when it is at idle for a short period of time, my header pipe will turn so red hot near the motor it's not even funny. Is this normal for these bikes?
What are some things I can do to fix this problem?
It seems to be fine as long as I am riding and keep air moving through the bike, but once you stop for a couple minutes :p it'll heat right back up and be glowing red. Any help will be appreciated!

• BKRacing

Posted March 06, 2009 - 09:49 AM

Totally normal, your not the first to ask this question. I accually called the dealer when I first saw it on mine. Congrats on the new bike, you'll love it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2009 - 10:21 AM

Oh, boy. I suppose you'll get razzed for asking that.

If you had visited the Common Threads Sticky (you might have seen it, it says "look here first") you could have found this:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=236304

But since you didn't, someone is going top ask me to tell you that Mine Does That All the Time

It really is normal, and the bike should not be allowed to idle longer than 1 full minute without moving.

And, BTW, Welcome to Thumper Talk.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spc mike

Posted March 07, 2009 - 12:36 AM

lets get i picture of that hot-start setup.:p

• GASIT426

Posted March 11, 2009 - 02:06 PM

lets get i picture of that hot-start setup.:banghead:

I'll take some pictures once I get home....working right now out of town/state in Memphis,TN. so it will have to be this weekend. :)

• JRide6

Posted March 12, 2009 - 10:14 AM

I took the 426 out for the first time yesterday and noticed this. I heard about this issue and while I was sitting waiting for an opening on the track I looked down to see the pipe glowing red.

• GASIT426

Posted March 12, 2009 - 02:56 PM

I took the 426 out for the first time yesterday and noticed this. I heard about this issue and while I was sitting waiting for an opening on the track I looked down to see the pipe glowing red.

Just keep the air moving and it's fine. I went riding this past weekend and whenever I would have to stop and wait for others to catch up to me I'd actually shut the bike off if I sat there longer than a minute. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.