clutch hard to pull

8 replies to this topic
  • jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 06, 2009 - 08:28 AM

on my 06 wr its way to hard to pull, i have had many look at it and say the same thing.
what would cause this?
i have checked the cables and they move freely, routed right lubed etc.
i tried to move the clutch lever on top of the tranny and i cant move it by hand like my wifes ttr.
does this mean its time for a new clutch? are all wr's like this?

• William1

Posted March 06, 2009 - 10:26 AM

You'd be surprised. A disconnected cable can seem to slide fine but once it is installed and under tension, the worn areas make themselves know. Replace the cable.

• jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 06, 2009 - 12:42 PM

its a brand new custom extended cable by motion pro, are they known to be junk?

• William1

Posted March 06, 2009 - 03:37 PM

LOL, as I noticed you response, another though came to mind, a real worn lever pivot can also cause increased lever effort.

Motion Pro cables are supposedly good stuff. I have never used one though. If your lever is in good condition (was the action good with your old cable?) then perhaps there is a fault with the new cable. Nothing is always perfect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 06, 2009 - 05:49 PM

LIke william said, worn pivot points are usually overlooked. Look at the point where the cable ends are leveraged, and see if the device they fit into are still perfectly cylindrical in shape. I've seen levers that are toast on the pivot, that make the clutch seem seized.

• DrBosa

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:23 AM

My clutch was also a bitch to pull. Simply changing the cable didn't do it, but after cleaning and lubing the lever pivot with fork oil (and the cable itself while at it) it became pretty decent.

• jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 11, 2009 - 07:36 AM

i sprayed teflon lube into the cable and it helped. compared to most cable clutches it is still stiff. i pulled on the clutch push lever going into the clutch housing and couldnt even make it budge with my fingers. no wonder the cable seems tight. are your wr 450 clutch push levers the same?

• WR450FGreg

Posted March 11, 2009 - 10:43 AM

pulled on the clutch push lever going into the clutch housing and couldnt even make it budge with my fingers. no wonder the cable seems tight. are your wr 450 clutch push levers the same?

This is normal for pretty much any bike.

I agree with the guys, check that lever/bracket pivot point.

Greg

• jtn 06 wr450

Posted March 12, 2009 - 06:46 AM

greased the pivot point and the cable ends with white lithium and it looked to be in good condition

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.