GPS VHF combo needed for woods riding

8 replies to this topic
  • Alabama_Rider

Posted February 17, 2003 - 09:29 PM

After a rather lengthy bike recovery incident in a National Forest this past weekend I really appreciate my
Garmin GPS 45XL... :)We were able to find the broken down bike and recover it. As it was necessary for us to split up I felt the need for each rider to have a VHF (cell phones don't work in this National Forest). Does anyone make a good combination handheld GPS and VHF?

• mmbasa

Posted February 18, 2003 - 06:22 AM

Try the Garmin Rino GPS. It is a GPS and a two way radio in one. It will even show your position to other rino users.

• kev426

Posted February 18, 2003 - 10:23 AM

what mmbasa said its a good unit. check ebay i saw lots of them on there

• Alabama_Rider

Posted February 19, 2003 - 06:54 PM

Sounds like the way to go.. Any suggestions on where to find em at a good price?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mmbasa

Posted February 20, 2003 - 06:08 AM

Try Ebay. There are two models the 110 or the 120. The first is cheaper, go to Garmins website to see wich one works for you. Both are good though.

• Mr_Toyz

Posted February 21, 2003 - 05:28 AM

Just got one for my birthday yesterday...WAY cool!

If you have friends with Rhinos as well you can see their position on the gps everytime you contact them or they contact you. You can EVEN send other rhino users specific postions you'd like to meet!

They work with other FRS radios and also have the ability to run GMRS which extends your range from 2 miles to 5 miles.

I got the Rhino 120, its got 8 mb of storage, enough for everything I'll need.

Joe

• F6dood

Posted February 22, 2003 - 04:17 AM

Does the garmin GPS that you use have a handlebar mount. Does this unit also have a map that shows your position. I have the GPS 3 w/ handlebar mount for the Valkyrie and is perfect for the highway. Its a "Garmin" mount but I;m concerned that bouncing on the dirt bike would be too much for the mount. Can someone post a photo of the unit mounted on there bike and send specs.
Thanks in advance. :)

• Mr_Toyz

Posted February 22, 2003 - 06:18 AM

Here, this is great!

Garmin Rino 120

Joe

• F6dood

Posted February 22, 2003 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Joe:

That is Way Cool :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.