Does the 426 have a rev limiter?

9 replies to this topic
  • rufusz

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:11 AM

Simple question: Does the 426 have a rev limiter?

• Kasjok

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:48 AM

Yes it has

• rufusz

Posted March 08, 2009 - 12:36 AM

Than why can't I hit it? :p Sometimes in 1st, 2nd, 3rd I'll pull it full and keep holding on (specially on SM wheels) to see if it will kick in, but didn't happen. Should I try it in neutral? Could it have been turned off, modded by previous owner?

• Kasjok

Posted March 08, 2009 - 12:39 AM

So your bike is reving to the infinity?

• whitedevil450

Posted March 08, 2009 - 07:36 AM

i think it's still going. he just does'nt know it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 08, 2009 - 11:36 AM

The rev limit in neutral, assuming you still have a functional neutral switch, is lowered to around 7000 rpm. In gear, it's 11,500. The power of a 426 falls off rather sharply at around 10,200-10,500, and unless it's in first or second, you won't likely hit the rev limit in gear. There are some aftermarket ignition systems that increase the limit.

• rufusz

Posted March 08, 2009 - 11:24 PM

Thx grayracer, will check the neutral switch. I've newer pulled it beyond the point where the power start to fall off (because it has no reason to do so), maybe that's the cause I didn't hear the typical revlimiter sound.

And yes, sometimes it sound like rev would be infinity :p

• 350warrior

Posted March 09, 2009 - 11:06 AM

I didnt mean to, but hit revlimiter in third (I think, to busy racing my bro, was just holding on and shifting gears :p )

Isnt hitting revlimiter in neutral bad for your bike?

• grayracer513

Posted March 09, 2009 - 12:48 PM

Isnt hitting revlimiter in neutral bad for your bike?

Yes, and that's why the rev limit in neutral is so much lower than in gear. It's not good for the bike in gear either, but it's a lot better than running to 12,500 by mistake.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted March 09, 2009 - 08:28 PM

So your bike is reving to the infinity?

lol :p

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.