handlebar hand guard problem

5 replies to this topic
  • tarmac_terrorist

Posted March 05, 2009 - 10:03 PM

greetings.

I went to put a handlebar hand guard back on. Sadly im an idiot and seem to have lost a spreader nut inside the handlebar. I've looked but cant see a damm thing, just blackness. Whats the process for retrieiving a spreader nut which is lodged in a handlebar?

thanks.

• erickdj

Posted March 05, 2009 - 10:37 PM

There's different things that can be tried for a situation like that. It happened to me not that long ago, but I was able to get it back out pretty quick. Here's some suggestions: a long screw that can thread into that nut, a metal coat hanger with the tip of the wire slightly bent, a pen-sized retractable magnet, or even blowing air with a compressor from the other end of the handle bars. Just a few things that can be tried to get that sucker out of there. Whenever something like that happens, just take the opportunity to take a break and relax, take your time to figure out a plan of action. Frustration leads to nothing good.

• crooks420

Posted March 05, 2009 - 11:25 PM

You can always wait till you dump the bike on that side...... it just might come out.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted March 05, 2009 - 11:46 PM

It's happened to me before too!

I just shook the bike over on it's side and it eventually slid out enough for me to see it and grip it with a piece of wire. Tapping the bars with a hammer lightly also helps to get it moving.

Greg

• tarmac_terrorist

Posted March 06, 2009 - 03:22 AM

thanks guys. Basically I had pushed it out of reach with a screwdriver whilst trying to get the nut. I took a piece of wire and got it out. Thanks very much.

• MaxPower

Posted March 06, 2009 - 07:09 AM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]compressed air[/COLOR]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.