Nother 450 timing/topend question(sorry)

2 replies to this topic
  • bill petitt

Posted March 05, 2009 - 07:18 PM

OK. Have a 08 yzf 450. It was bogging and had a little blue smoke. I decide it is time for a top end. Weisco. New gaskets, etc. Also new cam chain( other post now corrected. Thanks all)
Put everything together. and it feels like it has very little compression. Piston is nice and snug and rings are tight. Checked timing. Here is where the fun begins. If I have it at TDC(pencil in cylinder) The marks on the fly wheel do not line up. Off by about a 1/4 inch. So I time it based on TDC with the pencil and I put bot dots horizontal and flush with the head. I could kick it with no effort. Almost like the plug was out. So I do the timing again, this time by the manual, which shows the "I" mark on the fly wheel. Both dots flush on the cylinder. Same thing. NO compression. After about 10 kicks I got one big back fire. Thats it. I researched here and some one said put both cams off by one tooth? Is this with the fly wheel mark or TDC???( Yes the fly wheel went on the key and is tight) If I use the fly wheel mark, the piston is about an 1/8 of an inch down. One tooth off in which direction. I am assuming above the cylinder wall???
No compression?? The valves are in spec on both sides, with the middle intake a lil looser than the rest, but with in specs,(im thinking it was at 14 instead of 10)
Leak down test was done and everything is good. As I said, the last time it was running, my son raced it. Started up first or second kick. He said it had little power, especially in the deep sand corners. A little blue smoke.

All gaskets are new and everything is torqued. No leaks through the gaskets.
Any help would be much appreciated, as I have only 1 more day to get it up and running.
Thank you

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mitchicle

Posted March 05, 2009 - 07:27 PM

When you timed it by the manual, did you stick your pencil in the spark plug hole to ensure you were at TDC? The reason i'm asking is(i am not sure on these engines but) you could be 180 out on your timing. Did you see any noticable scoring on the cylinder wall? The only other thing i can think of that would be the cause of that is a valve thats hung up. Sorry i can't be of more help.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2009 - 09:24 AM

If I have it at TDC(pencil in cylinder) The marks on the fly wheel do not line up. Off by about a 1/4 inch. ...( Yes the fly wheel went on the key and is tight) If I use the fly wheel mark, the piston is about an 1/8 of an inch down.
Bill

These "facts" cannot coexist in the real world. If the flywheel were on the key, TDC would agree with the "I" mark on the flywheel. If you time the cams at actual TDC (which is correct), and the flywheel is not in the TDC position, the ignition timing will be off. You need to get to the bottom of this because it's where your problem lies.

I assume you realize there are 3 marks on the flywheel that look something like this:

|-| | <----- The third one is TDC, ignore the others.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.