Opinions sought for single trial riding

7 replies to this topic
  • cammo69

Posted March 05, 2009 - 04:40 PM

I have an 04 yz450f and dont ride it on track, i only ride ontight single trial and rocky, rutted, hilly Bush/wood areas.
currently have 14/49 gearing.

I am seeking opinions on best gearing and also have heard alot about flywheel weights and am considering adding this option. is this an easy procedure to DIY. all replies appreciated.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 05, 2009 - 04:53 PM

I have an 04 also. I run 14/47 gearing it makes for some clutch abuse in extremely tight situations, but I love how it allows me to use first gear a lot more. My buddies with 5 speeds are in second when I am in first. As far as a FWW I am doing one on my bike soon so I will have to get back to ya on that one. Other than that two of my favorite DIY mods are oversized footpegs (I have Lightspeed) and an oversized front brake rotor (mine=270mm braking wave rotor0

• tjg53

Posted March 05, 2009 - 04:55 PM

A flywheel will smooth out the power , which is good on a mx bike that your going to ride single track with. 9 to 13 oz. will help alot.

• brokensaw

Posted March 05, 2009 - 05:59 PM

i run 13-50 its much more manageable in the tight single track around here.especially getting going up hill.im still in first when everyone else is in second.west coast .bc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SparksXR426

Posted March 05, 2009 - 08:38 PM

i run 13-50 its much more manageable in the tight single track around here.especially getting going up hill.im still in first when everyone else is in second.west coast .bc

Its always good to see another rider on here from the wet coast! :p
It helps others when you post your machine on your signature.
13/53 on my 08 YZ, kills top speed but first in manageable. FWW on the to do list and also take the breather mod seriously guys, especially in the bush, just do a search on it.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 05, 2009 - 09:49 PM

Sparx, Brokensaw- You are aware you are giving gearing advice to someone with a 4speed right? Your bikes are totally different when it comes to gear ratios.

• grayracer513

Posted March 06, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Sparx, Brokensaw- You are aware you are giving gearing advice to someone with a 4speed right? Your bikes are totally different when it comes to gear ratios.

It actually has less to do with being a 4 or 5 speed than it does the primary drive ratio. The 426 and the '03-'04 models had a primary reduction ratio of 2.818:1. In '05 (still a 4 speed) this was changed to 2.652:1 and is still that way on the '09. This difference is almost exactly equal to adding one tooth to the front, or taking 3 off the back, and accounts for why the '06+ models all came with 13's on the front.

'03-'04 standard gearing was 14/48. The '05, with it's taller primary ratio had a 14/51 to compensate for the primary drive. The two bikes are geared the same.

But the point is still accurate, even if the details were off: when comparing pre-'05 model gearing to '05+, you have to adjust for the differences.

• Wiz636

Posted March 06, 2009 - 11:32 AM

I have an 04 yz450f and dont ride it on track, i only ride ontight single trial and rocky, rutted, hilly Bush/wood areas.
currently have 14/49 gearing.

I am seeking opinions on best gearing and also have heard alot about flywheel weights and am considering adding this option. is this an easy procedure to DIY. all replies appreciated.

What, if any, problems are you having or trying to solve?

I would say get back to stock gearing or even go up one tooth on the rear from stock. A FWW will always help these bikes in offroad situations and they are easy to install.

The ultimate fix would be the Rekluse z-Start Pro clutch!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.