Stiff throttle action

2 replies to this topic
  • Kasjok

Posted March 05, 2009 - 12:29 PM

My winter overhaul included cleaning and lubing all my cables for smooth action. I cleaned and lubed up my clutch cable and along with ASV F3 pro clutch it is now very nice and easy to pull in. So I figured I give my throttle cables also some of this treatment. Wrong decision! After lubing the cables up and putting the assembly back together my throttle is now so stiff that when the bike is not running it is hardly snapping itself back from WOT. However, when the bike is running it snaps back instantly, probably the vibration helps here.

I tried to wash the oil out using brake cleaner, but really didn`t accomplish much, because there really isn`t a place to mount the cable lubber.

So what do you think? I really want my throttle to move as easily as it was when being new (who wouldn`t). I guess the easiest solution would be buying a new set of cables $$$ :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted March 05, 2009 - 02:55 PM

My winter overhaul included cleaning and lubing all my cables for smooth action. I cleaned and lubed up my clutch cable and along with ASV F3 pro clutch it is now very nice and easy to pull in. So I figured I give my throttle cables also some of this treatment. Wrong decision! After lubing the cables up and putting the assembly back together my throttle is now so stiff that when the bike is not running it is hardly snapping itself back from WOT. However, when the bike is running it snaps back instantly, probably the vibration helps here.

I tried to wash the oil out using brake cleaner, but really didn`t accomplish much, because there really isn`t a place to mount the cable lubber.

So what do you think? I really want my throttle to move as easily as it was when being new (who wouldn`t). I guess the easiest solution would be buying a new set of cables $$$ :p

you might have to pull them off the bike, and shoot brake clean down them or try dipping them in a bucket of gas quickly to get the gunk out. What did you lube them with? I use a bottle of lube called 3in1 lube for electrical motors and air tools, but I pop the top off the bottle and put dry graphite in it. This way when the lube dries durring the season, the dry graphite is still there to lube. I also just use dry Graph. on the handle bar too under the throttle tube.

• William1

Posted March 05, 2009 - 04:43 PM

I never lube cables. Lube dries out, it attracks dirt.

The graphite is not a bad idea though as it works dry. There are some lock lubricants that have a carrier to flow the graphite in then the carrier evaporates. But I do not even do this. Cables are often teflon lined, you cannot make it slippier.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.