Exhaust sound off

8 replies to this topic
  • slinger09

Posted March 04, 2009 - 08:19 PM

This goes out to all owners of 08 or 09 yz450f's with the shorty pipes. I just got an 08 about a month ago and was wondering what every one has chosen in the way of exhausts....stock?....slip on?....or full exhaust? I am still runnin stock at the moment and the low end power while trail ridin is bothersome in the slow tight stuff.

Thanx,
Jas

• DND

Posted March 05, 2009 - 11:24 AM

I've got an '09 that I swapped the system out for an FMF Megabomb header and a Q4 Ti muffler. It's actually quieter than the stock system and seems to have perked up the lowend and mid range somewhat. I can't get too specific as to the gains as I'm still dealing with riding in the snow which makes performance evaluation difficult. I would hardly call it riding, more of a quick fix around the front yard when I break down looking at it sitting on the stand. Beats sitting on it making vroom vroom sounds though.

I will say this. I'm not going back to stock as I've made power gains while reducing the noise output. My main goal is to keep my neighbours happy and off my back.

• areax

Posted March 09, 2009 - 10:45 AM

This goes out to all owners of 08 or 09 yz450f's with the shorty pipes. I just got an 08 about a month ago and was wondering what every one has chosen in the way of exhausts....stock?....slip on?....or full exhaust? I am still runnin stock at the moment and the low end power while trail ridin is bothersome in the slow tight stuff.

Thanx,
Jas

+1... I have an 08 and I would also appreciate some comments on some different exhaust options for the yz. Myself, I will probably invest in a slip on.. as I don't really see a need for a different head pipe. From my searching and reading, I see that Dr.D is quite a popular choice but I would just like a little information about the different brands people are running before I sink my cash into a pipe.

Thanks!!

• rjcook450

Posted March 09, 2009 - 12:41 PM

I have an 08, with a Dr.D full exhaust and love it, woke bike up low to mid, and figured i cant go wrong with DRD since he helps with yamaha development

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Diesel_Junkie

Posted April 01, 2009 - 11:58 AM

I just put an 08 YZ full exhaust on my 08 WR. I added the promoto spark arrester and the quiet tip.

I thought it was plenty quiet, and my buddies thought it was too, but I got sound checked at the Hollister Hills Wild Wabbit race this last weekend and the rangers claimed it was 98DB????(and the limit is supposed to be 96) they gave me a sticker anyways, but I thought this thing was supposed to be around 90-94DB with the quiet tip. What gives? I think the packing is fine.

• WILLIAMS37

Posted April 01, 2009 - 01:12 PM

I have always wanted a Yoshimura pipe for some reason but I hear so many good DRD reviews That I'm stuck. I'd like to see the Yosh sitting on my bike but right now I could go either way.

• jjj109

Posted April 01, 2009 - 01:25 PM

PC just came out with there 94db slips on. PC ti-4 and PC t-4 slip ons that are 94db so they claim. It smart for the sport to make quiet HP:thumbsup:

• FiremanKay

Posted April 01, 2009 - 04:22 PM

PC just came out with there 94db slips on. PC ti-4 and PC t-4 slip ons that are 94db so they claim. It smart for the sport to make quiet HP:thumbsup:

Sounds is a mojor problem for our sport. I think it is one of the only sports that gets smaller every year in sted of bigger. AMA need to work on getting the sound limits down. So what if you slow down 1/2 sec a lap if it helps keep our sport alive. If my stock TRX450 is almost unhearable at 100yds, i think we could do this with MX bikes. Just what I think though, also upset that my local track may be getting closed do to a new sound ordinace.

• jjj109

Posted April 02, 2009 - 07:37 AM

firemankay,
I used to be one of those guys that had the best and loudest ti-race pipe out there. It was over rated. It made some serious power:worthy: . was it all usable? probably not.:excuseme: After seeing some of the results of having a loud pipe in my local riding areas now im all about keeping it quiet. Its the smart thing to do to keep the sport alive. besides if you dont think your bike has enough juice there is other options. cam, pistons, porting, it is endless once you crack the motor open. :thumbsup: I was told in the town I grew up riding in my whole life that i am not allowed to ride in my spots any more because my bike was soo loud. If i get caught they will take my bike, my truck, and a $1000.00 in fines. :confused:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.