WR450 top speed?

5 replies to this topic
  • ddialogue

Posted February 17, 2003 - 03:39 PM

I read a while back that the WR426 would top out at 90mph with stock gearing. Naturally, I figured the WR450 would be around the same. Well, I ran my WR450 WFO for nearly two miles down a stretch of dirt road this afternoon and could only muster 82.7mph, according to the gps. It sounded like it was still winding up but I didn't want to blow it up so I backed off. It's geared with the stock 14/50 sprockets. Anyone tried WFO with your WR450's yet?? Just curious. :) :D

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 17, 2003 - 04:12 PM

Dave, My 01 426 with a 15 counter could go 90mph (very accurate Pacemaker3). I feel that my 450 can do that stock, just going off of seat of the pants meter. You should be able to go faster.... Jetting?

Dan :)

• Superbike

Posted February 17, 2003 - 04:30 PM

Dan,
Do you feel this is quicker/faster than your 426? I put about 10 miles on mine today. It feels very different than my YZ426. Power is torqy and it still revs to the moon, but it builds slower. I think my YZ would whoop it. I do howerver think I will go faster than on the 426. It may just be decieving as the monster torq may be fooling me into a slower feeling. Like going from a 2 stroke to the 426 felt. Did I explain that right? Well it still does long 5th gear wheelies! What do you think? ---Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 17, 2003 - 05:19 PM

It may just be decieving as the monster torq may be fooling me into a slower feeling. Like going from a 2 stroke to the 426 felt. Did I explain that right? Well it still does long 5th gear wheelies! What do you think? ---Mike

Mike, My 450 is faster in every condition than my 426, not because my 426 is tired because it's not, it has 160 psi of compression just like new with a fresh top end on it. My feeling is becasue it's a smoother powerband you don't really notice yourself going much faster but I can tell. Yes the thing will just lift off the ground in all 5 gears with ease (like the 426) it just stays there longer. Yesterday I rode my friends YZ450 back to back with my new bike. The powerband is noticably different, while I would rather have the YZ on the track I was happier with my own bike for off road riding. The torque on the WR450 is just crazy, especially when you're riding up a long whooped out trail, the thing just pulls and pulls and soaks up everything in it's way..makes you laugh out loud from disbelief.... (well, it does to me)..

One thing I can say about the 426, is that I think that on the top end of the powerband it seems like it just keeps building more and more of top end where as the 450 hits the rev-limiter faster, but short shifting the WR450 rewards you with tons of more low to mid range power not found on the 426. Now!! did THAT make sence??????

Take care, Dan :)

• SMD

Posted February 17, 2003 - 05:37 PM

Dan after an awesome 47 mile loop yesterday I will say .....yes everything you said makes perfect sense. I believe the 450 does everything better than my trusty "old" WR. :)

• Superbike

Posted February 18, 2003 - 01:16 AM

That sums up my impression. I am used to the YZ tranny with the 444 kit and 14/51 gearing. My buddy owns a suspension shop so I always get my bike set up killer, but this thibg is awesome stock! Yes it holds the front end very easy very long! :)----Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.