Anyone know the difference from YZ to WR shock.....

9 replies to this topic
  • Zadok

Posted March 04, 2009 - 03:10 PM

We all know from reading here that the forks are NOT the same.
So what about the rear shock? Is it just a spring difference?

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 04, 2009 - 03:17 PM

We all know from reading here that the forks are NOT the same.
So what about the rear shock? Is it just a spring difference?

I could be wrong but I think the springs are Ti and the spring rate is different?

This is what I THINK....

• erickdj

Posted March 04, 2009 - 04:07 PM

The rumor is that the valving is also different, and the yz shock has a little more travel distance, not much, but still more. SJMC_DON is right, the springs are different. When I swapped the shock I saw that the spring from the wr looked like a spring that belongs in a chinese cheap bike compared to the yz spring. That wr spring looks CHEAP!

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:00 PM

The YZF shock is longer (slightly), valved much differently, and has a Ti spring on it from the factory.

• erickdj

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:03 PM

The YZF shock is longer (slightly), valved much differently, and has a Ti spring on it from the factory.

well, there we have it, the shocks are entirely different.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:08 PM

I believe they will physically fit on the WR, though, and depending on what you are doing with it, can be easier to work with when going after better suspension for high speeds.

• erickdj

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:14 PM

I believe they will physically fit on the WR, though, and depending on what you are doing with it, can be easier to work with when going after better suspension for high speeds.

Yes it does fit, like a glove. I know because I put one in my WR, along with forks too.

• CheYuen

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:19 PM

Using an aftermarket spring and having it re-valved, could a WR shock be tuned to be like a YZ shock?

• erickdj

Posted March 04, 2009 - 05:27 PM

Using an aftermarket spring and having it re-valved, could a WR shock be tuned to be like a YZ shock?

Most likely it could.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2009 - 09:07 PM

I've heard differing opinions on that. One that stands out was that of NCMountainman, who, unless I'm misstating it, said then WR shocks were hard to work with, and required quite a bit of work. He didn't seem to care much for them. I don't know what the differences internally are, though. The Suspension Forum would be a good place to ask.

As far as the forks, Dave Johnson at Smart Performance now has his Phase 4 stuff available for the WR fork, so the forks your bike came with can now be brought up to a very high level of performance. I know you can find '06/'07 YZ450 forks, and those are among the best stock forks anywhere, but if the Phase 4 for the 48mm YZ450 open bath fork is anything to go by, the WR fork can be made at least that good. I suppose comparing the cost of the two approaches would have something to do with it. Contact him if you're interested.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.