08 WR450F Pipe Dismantle

7 replies to this topic
  • sniperjaggi

Posted March 04, 2009 - 02:06 PM

I have not posted a message before, but since I have spent over an hour looking for my answer and can't find it I need help. I bought a new 08 WR450 (last year's model, new) and I am in the process of doing all the modifications the factory should have done in the first place. It's pretty bad when my 99 WR400 woops its ass all over the place. I bought the TT kit, jets, needle, and promoto billet for the exhaust. I am starting with the exhaust. I pulled the end cap off the exhaust along with the stock insert. I also removed the two rivets holding the end piece on. Here is my question. How do I get the end piece off? I have tugged on it, even put the insert back in for more leverage as I pull. I don't want to mark up my pipe. How in the hell do I get it out so I can gut out the plugged up pipe? Any help is appreciated!

• bradsind

Posted March 04, 2009 - 07:38 PM

I seem to remember having troubles with my 07 as well. I think I removed the exhaust and may have had to pound the pea-shooter in a bit to break any residual rivet metal. Then I think I could pull it out.

• sniperjaggi

Posted March 05, 2009 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reply! I tried using a scew driver and a hammer to punch it into the pipe last night. I managed to move it anbout 1/16 of an inch. How far can I push it inward before I start doing any damage? The thing is still way tight. I can not get it to budge outward. Any ideas? Anyone else have any insight?

• WR_Dave

Posted March 05, 2009 - 10:22 AM

This thread has gotten quite large, but Dodgy had alot of good info,in the first few posts. http://www.thumperta... pipe saves big Good Luck, it's tight in there for a reason, you don't want any extra rattling when your done. WR Dave :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sniperjaggi

Posted March 05, 2009 - 10:32 AM

I did go through all of those before I posted this originally. I learned a lot, and I know exactly what to do onces I can get the end piece off and get to all of it. I just don't want to bend my end piece and mark up my exhaust. I will work on it again tonight, hopefully this time with no swearing.

• WR_Dave

Posted March 05, 2009 - 12:54 PM

You might have to try a slide hammer to get it out of there. If you can get one with a fairly large "L" shaped fixture you might be able to get it moving through the exhaust port. :p WR Dave

• sniperjaggi

Posted March 07, 2009 - 07:31 AM

I got it! I ended up going to the hardware store and picking up four bolts that were two inches long and fit the four holes (bolts) in the end piece. I drilled four holes in a piece of wood, used four washers, put extended bolts through washers-wood-end piece. I turned them one turn each at a time until the end piece moved to the end of the exhaust. Once I removed the bolts and wood it only took a little tug with my fingers and it popped right out. Hope this helps someone in the same situation as myself. Thanks Bradsind and WR Dave for the suggestions.

• WR_Dave

Posted March 08, 2009 - 06:42 AM

Good to hear it worked out, just needed some out of the box thinking, Good Job and have fun with the mods. WR Dave

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.