Who Services Their Own Scott's Dampener???

6 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted August 07, 2002 - 09:02 PM

What's involved and is there much to it??? I read in the manual that your supposed to send your dampener into Scotts after the first 40 hrs of riding. Since I am way over the first 40 hrs I decieded to call Scotts to get some info. The guy at Scotts asked how long I've had it, (about 6 months now), and said there was no reason that I should need to send it in. He said just change out the oil, ride for another 4 - 6 months, and then look at sending it in for sevice. (That's all baring a get off of course!)

So, I'm assuming that this is an easy process....do I buy special oil from Scotts??

Thanks in advance.........

Dodger :) :D

• Merfman

Posted August 07, 2002 - 10:03 AM

Hey Dodger,

I just did mine. There's no mystery except when replacing the oil. You MUST do as they recommend in the instructions.

Go to:
http://www.scottsper.../indexmain.html

and download the instructions. It's pretty simple and I was amazed at how much better it worked with fresh fluid.

And, BTW, instead of using their special tool, I just picked up a syringe at the local vet supply store.

Merf

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: Merfman ]

• YZ400Court

Posted August 07, 2002 - 04:41 PM

I also did mine. It was easy. It began leaking after a get off. I tore it apart, cleaned up the seals, put new 2 wt fork oil in and had no problems since.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sabin

Posted August 07, 2002 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys,

what is this daper good for? Does it worth the money? How is Ohlins damper compared to scott?

Thanks for the info :)

• YZ400Court

Posted August 08, 2002 - 03:35 AM

The Scotts and Ohlins are the same, both made by Ohlins. I would say it is the single biggest improvement you can make for riding sand, roots or rocks. Also VERY helpful in the scary fast stuff.

• Merfman

Posted August 08, 2002 - 05:23 AM

I would agree with Mr Court. I view mine as safety equipment.

Merf

• Merfman

Posted August 08, 2002 - 09:50 PM

Dodger, check your PM's...

Merf

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.